Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Cbet basic question

This is such a basic question but I'm going to risk humiliation and post it anyway.

You have a TAG raiser in the CO or even UTG+1. You call on the button with whatever, and (or maybe not) some fish in the SB calls.

The flop comes A22 and the tag raiser makes a C bet. This is obv a 100% Cbet spot for any TAG. Is it -EV to make a raise here with ATC? I mean he could well have an Ace, but a CO raise probably has more non A cards in the range.

Short version : Is it worth considering making bluff raises on boards that are automatic C-Bet type boards against TAG's and if so, at what frequency?
Old 08-18-2007, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Cbet basic question

there are probably better boards to raise on. ie. stuff like 548 w. 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] would be scarier. also, i think bluff raising is better when HU and not 3-way.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:54 PM

Is this really an auto c-bet for most TAGs? I c-bet this flop pretty automatically heads up, but in a multiway pot against another TAG who has position and a fish (who's calling a raise with any ace), I'm not c-betting anywhere near 100% of the time. Leak?
Old 08-18-2007, 05:55 PM

This is something I've been thinking about as of late when it comes to tag vs tag. On an A22 rainbow flop, if I raise the cbet what exactly am I representing? Any Ace pair here fares better if he calls down (wa/wb) imo, so if I raise it won't really make sense to an observant player, and he can therefore play back at me assuming he knows that this is a bluff a lot of the time. If I raise an Ace high flop which I do a bit, it would be on something like AT9, because then it could be very easily possible that I can have a set or two pair.

But I never know if I'm just leveling myself thinking this way, and that tags will often just auto muck no matter what they put me on simply because they have complete air as well.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:59 PM

I personally C bet against 2 opponents on the dryest of boards most of the time, like A22,A55, K44 etc, even 3 opponents sometimes and I think its +EV (feels it anyway based on results)
Old 08-18-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there are probably better boards to raise on. ie. stuff like 548 w. 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] would be scarier. also, i think bluff raising is better when HU and not 3-way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't raising 3-way look a bit stronger? It'd be better if SB was competent and on a better board, but I've been thinking about this recently and we're always like "zomg he raised us with people left to act, we follllllld". Does that make sense or am I overanalyzing?
Old 08-18-2007, 06:05 PM

what are you raising on this such flop though (A22)? there arent many 2s in your range and i doubt you'll raise stuff like ATs and the like. (not just you thac just in general).
Old 08-18-2007, 06:06 PM

and yeah, raising 3 way looks stronger. but with a tard SB they will never fold an Ace which makes it riskier.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:07 PM

yeah if there are 3 people in the pot, the TAG raises with an A44 board, and you reraise - it makes your raise look stronger because there is the third player still in, but you are just making a move on a obv Cbet, somtimes the fish has something, but most times not. So its gotta be pretty close to a profitable move - but is it?
Old 08-18-2007, 06:07 PM

right...but what are you representing?