Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 10:23 PM

Default Help with common spot against floaters

I have lots of problems in these scenario.
example: nl400

hero raise UTG to 16
Tricky villain calls on button.

flop J66r

hero bet 30$ villain calls bringing pot to 92

turn is 3. Hero has tight image.
What should hero do most of the time if he has
1)AJ
2)JT
3)10-10
4)AQ
5)KK,AA

alternately, what should hero do if he checks and villain
bets $70 in to this pot with above 5 hands.

I feel like I lose a lot of value in these type of pots folding way too much of the time when i have an underpair or AQ type hand. When you are TAG and you raise UTG your hand is transparent as saran wrap. Many thinking villains can float you easily. Playing these spots well i think gets you a lot of respect and gets tricky type players to find a softer spot.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Help with common spot against floaters

If he floats a lot you need to start check calling the turn a lot more or check raising the turn. Sometimes bluff CR the turn.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:36 PM

typically if im agaisnt a floaty villian ill double barrel a pretty hefty % of the time, betting around 70$

if im called or raised i obviously muck

Old 05-28-2007, 10:36 PM

some combo of betting, check-calling, and check-raising can get it done. or in other words, any lines other than folding.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:43 PM

do you guys think a check is the best way to find out villain's hand? If villain puts me on a standard raneg of PP and A-big, what range do you think he is betting turn?
Old 05-28-2007, 10:46 PM

erm... if you don't know what his range is, then how do you know he's floating you?
Old 05-28-2007, 11:27 PM

I bet with all those hands a large percentage of the time, the rest of the percentage I'm check raising. I have no reason to think I'm behind and if I am with a hand I just cbet with (like AK, AQ, or whatever I raised with) and I know villain will float with air or middle pairs they will likely fold to a 2nd bet.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:55 AM

right, I guess 2nd barrelling would get villain to fold all air type hands, marginal middle pairs possibly, and possibly even AJ,KJ. Many smarter players know all of these are possibly dominated by UTG player.

If you C/R all in, I feel like you are either getting all bulffs, and possibly small prs to fold. I \think villain's range to bet turn is either a monster, like a fhouse or trips, or bluffy / marginal hands.

I think most opponents will check behind a marginal hand with high showdown value such as J10,QJ,10-10 etc.

Thus, you would need your opponent to bluff / fold a significant amount to make a C/R have value. Also you would definitely have to be able to do this with AAKK and TPTK as well.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:20 AM

if the guy is floating he probably has PPs,86/76/65/64, J9-AJ, QQ/KK/AA, he probably doesnt have overcards or just air unless you are pretty loose and always bet these flops

I pretty much check/call any J or above and fold the rest. If he bets theses spots too much then I'll check/raise or bet out on the river with all those hands

you can also check/call the flop sometimes and bet out on turn overcards (mix up your range obviously)
Old 05-29-2007, 04:32 AM

from the range you are suggesting it would mean his range is killing us and we are better off check/folding....

sometimes this spot is really brutal when you are getting 3-barrelled and you have an overpair... I suppose overall 2nd barrell is best you can get better hands to fold and mostlikely to get a push from a hand that has you killed...

I dont like C/R bluffing becuz I feel this is always a monster or a bluff. (Although if i am a real real nit, then it is more likely that they are bluffing and folding most of their hands the other time.)

Overall, 2nd bareeling seems cheaper. I only need to show that I have balls. I dont feel that it is necessary to show a total profit in this spot. Playing OOP really sucks anyways.