Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Re: obscure MUST SEE movies

I guess my question to all would be what is the probability that a movie, given it is a "must see film" remains obscure? In the simplest terms I would say about 0 for everyone "must see", so let's say "must see" for a specific genre.

Like I don't consider the Evil Dead movies obscure and consider it a must see for people who like that type of movie. I think a lot of the movies in this thread are just bad and a lot of people would think that. Shark jumped around the "formula 51" reference.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:48 PM

Cool Thread, thanks for everyone's suggestions.

A couple suggestions, especially if you like dark comedies, are "Happiness" and "The Squid and the Whale." I hadn't heard of these until friends suggested them.

"Happiness" is a super dark comedy, stars Philip Seymour Hoffman, Lara Flynn Boyle, and the guy who plays Jackie Treehorn in Big Lebowski. This movie uses interwoven stories and characters to explore the dark and perverse underbelly of suburban sexuality. Very dark, but very funny if you like that sort of thing.

"The Squid and The Whale" stars Jeff Daniels as the patriarch of a dysfunctional family. Very funny movie, not as disturbing as Happiness but still kind of dark.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:08 PM

The Killing. Kubrick does film noir.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How has no one mentioned "Miller's Crossing", the best and least known Coen brothers movie?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it isn't anywhere near obscure.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How has no one mentioned "Miller's Crossing", the best and least known Coen brothers movie?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it isn't anywhere near obscure.

[/ QUOTE ]
And its not there least known. That would be Blood Simple.

Maybe I'm wrong on this but would Hitchcock's Rope be considered obscure? It was one of the most innovative movies of its time

Quoted from Wiki
The film is Hitchcock's most experimental, abandoning many standard film techniques to allow for the long unbroken scenes. Each shot ran continuously for up to eight minutes without interruption. It was shot on a single set, aside from the opening establishing shot street scene. Camera moves were planned in advance and there was almost no editing. The walls of the set were on rollers and could silently be moved out of the way to make way for the camera, and then replaced when they were to come back into shot. Prop men also had to constantly move the furniture and other props out of the way of the large camera, and then ensure they were replaced in the correct location. A team of soundmen and camera operators kept the camera and mikes in constant motion, as the actors kept to a carefully choreographed set of cues. The cyclorama in the background was the largest backing ever used on a sound stage and included models of the Empire State and Chrysler buildings. Within the course of nine reels the cumulus clouds made of spun glass change a total of eight times. This was also Hitchcock's first color film.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:29 PM

The Fog of War
- Excellent documentary in which Robert McNamara is interviewed.

I'll third Little Big Man. Awesome movie. "Today is a good day to die."
Old 02-07-2007, 06:31 PM

Bob Roberts: best political black comedy ever. A Tim Robbins project that actually manages to skewer both sides of the aisle. Also Jack Black's first movie, plus David Strathairn, Alan Rickman, and Giancarlo Esposito.

Second the recs for Pi and Lone Star.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:31 PM

12 Angry men - A dissenting juror in a murder trial slowly manages to convince the others that the case is not as obviously clear as it seemed in court.

Maria full of grace - A pregnant Colombian teenager becomes a drug mule to make some desperately needed money for her family.

Ghost in the shell - (Anime)The world has become intensively information oriented and humans are well-connected to the network. Crime has developed into a sophisticated stage by hacking into the interactive network. To prevent this, Section 9 is formed. These are cyborgs with incredible strengths and abilities that can access any network on Earth.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:43 PM

All,

just listen to chopstick.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:52 PM

Not to beat a dead horse, but has nobody here ever seen Dead Man ? For those of you who liked Ghost Dog, it was made by the same director, Jim Jarmusch, who also made a few other obscure works of genius or near-genius : Night on Earth, Mystery Train, Down By Law, Stranger Than Paradise, and Coffee and Cigarettes (as well as Broken Flowers more recently, which I liked but not nearly as much as the others).

Night on Earth, especially, should be mentioned in this thread.