Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2006, 01:19 AM

Default Re: ask pryor15 about anything--anything at all

[ QUOTE ]

born in Maine

[/ QUOTE ]

Where in Maine?
Old 10-18-2006, 01:23 AM

If Pryor doesn't mind, I'll field these two...

[ QUOTE ]

1. Watched Project Greenlight a few years ago and was fascinated by how directors change the script as they go along. Is this common? Do they need the writer’s permission to change the script? (lol, have I already asked you this before?)

[/ QUOTE ]

As a screenwriter in Hollywood, you will get rewritten by just about everyone involved with the damn movie. You sell a script and you do a re-write or two for the producers. If a director signs on, you then do another rewrite or two based on his notes. Then Harrison ord drops out to star because now it isn't the same script he signed on to in the first place, so Kevin Spacey climbs aboard but he's nothing like Harrison Ford so now you re-write it yet again so it fits Spacey's persona but see, Spacey tells you things like, "My character would never say that" but how the [censored] would he know YOU wrote the goddamned thing, right? And then the first director bows out because he's been hired to do something else and another one is brought in so you have to rewrite it AGAIN...

And this is all assuming they actually keep you around past the intial (and contractually obligated) first re-write they have to give you a shot at; normally they just buy the script and that's the last you'll ever see of any of them again, unless the damn thing actually gets made and you make it to the premiere. IF you get invited. And that's a big if.

Basically, the Director is the boss. He can change any words he wants or even the whole story itself, as long as the Producer is too much of a pussy to do anything about it and realize the script no longer resembles what he bought in the first place. A star actor can do the same.

It's all about power, and nine times out of ten, the write ain't got none. If you sell a script, the Producer can use it as toilet paper. It's his to do with what he wants. (Now, some writers, through success, do gather power and varrying degress of "rewrite protection," but there's hard and fast rules on such a thing. It's all negotiable.)

[ QUOTE ]
2. Do you have any idea what kind of salary range a sitcom writer makes in Hollywood?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sitcom writers' salaries have a vast range...from a lowly "writer's assistant" (that's like an entry-level position for a newbie TV writer) to a Show Creator, it ranges from not bad at all to an absurd amount of money. Show Creators who get lucky enough to have a hit show that goes into syndication, make out in the hundrds of millions of dollars.

For the rank and file, though, you get hired during "staffing season" and work your ass off writing with a bunch of other writers on a show that will more than likely get cancelled after a couple of airings. Then you struggle until next staffing season comes around and do it all again.

(PrivateJoker works as a writer in TV, he knows more than me)

Also, if you just google something like "Writers Guild minimums" I'd bet you'd find a bunch of info on actual dollar amounts...I haven't worked in TV in a long time, so my numbers are probably wrong.

hope that helped. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2006, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

born in Maine

[/ QUOTE ]

Where in Maine?

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 10-18-2006, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did I miss the story about being a roadie for a high school band? I'm curious. Haha.

[/ QUOTE ]

not really. basically i lugged around equipment for a couple of months, but it was fun and i got to hang out at a lot of shows. no groupies, sadly
Old 10-18-2006, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If Pryor doesn't mind, I'll field these two...

[/ QUOTE ]

be my guest. it's no secret that you know much more about this than i do.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:31 AM

Pryor (who I always thought was much older),

Who are the top 5 American directors, in your opinion?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:36 AM

pryor,

How long were you in school to be able to get 3 minors in addition to the Broadcasting degree?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pryor,

How long were you in school to be able to get 3 minors in addition to the Broadcasting degree?

[/ QUOTE ]

4 years. i was very, uh, creative with substituting courses into my major
Old 10-18-2006, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pryor (who I always thought was much older),

Who are the top 5 American directors, in your opinion?

[/ QUOTE ]

um...

Orson Welles
John Ford
Howard Hawks
Martin Scorsese
Woody Allen

I'm probably missing someone and i didn't use anyone who wasn't born in the USA, but mostly worked here, like Billy Wilder
Old 10-18-2006, 02:14 PM

What do you think of Sam Girgus as a film critic?