Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 11-20-2007, 10:00 PM

Default Re: What\'s for Thanksgiving EDF? (planning & trip reports)

im going to the country club to play golf and then eat with my dad for thanksgiving! it will be lots of fun, but i dont have cool pics and recipes.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:15 PM

I'm off the hook this year because my cousin in law is doing the heavy lifting. I just need to bake some bread and make mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes with no dairy or soy. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

WTF do I do? How bad is rice milk? I've never touched the stuff. I guess I could use margarine but I'm not sure I could bring myself to do that. I'm planning on cooking the potatoes off in stock to add a little flavor, but I'm pretty much at a loss here.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm off the hook this year because my cousin in law is doing the heavy lifting. I just need to bake some bread and make mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes with no dairy or soy. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

WTF do I do? How bad is rice milk? I've never touched the stuff. I guess I could use margarine but I'm not sure I could bring myself to do that. I'm planning on cooking the potatoes off in stock to add a little flavor, but I'm pretty much at a loss here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said above that I was thinking of making mashed sweet potatoes using coconut milk. The idea was inspired by actual recipes for regular mashed potatoes using coconut milk. SamIAm linked to one example. If the idea of coconut bothers you, keep in mind that coconut milk is used as a base for Thai curries. I'd probably experiment first on a small scale, though.

I wonder if someone attending has a not-so-unusual soy allergy.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can use stock + a little olive oil and seasonings and get them pretty fluffy. I think the NYT -may- have mentioned this in their mashed potato article currently onl their food page.

I'm not 100% sure the olive oil thing is in there, but I definitely read somewhere today about maked mashed potatoes without dairy.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:44 AM

I'll check that out. I was thinking about using an aioli. Maybe I'll just cheat and do that with an herby warm smashed potato salad.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:08 PM

I've done olive-oil herbed mashed potatoes a few times (when my mom showed up on weight watchers an insisted all of her food accomodate her diet and then again on several occassions when I realized I had no butter or no milk after already boiling up potatoes). It's fine. I prefer the richer version but it's good. I have no recipe for you. Just mash and add olive oil and herbs salt and pepper. Do it to taste. Add the olive oil slowly and keep tasting until you get the consistency right, you don't want to use too much.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:46 AM

made turkey dinner with the gf. I started the night before by making the cranberry sauce.

I added orange juice and crystallized ginger for a little zest.

On the morning of Turkey Day we started things off with Mimosas.

I then started making my famous apple pie.

Since it was just the two of us we decided to make a pretend turkey instead of the whole damn thing. We started off with a flattened and deboned turkey breast.

and then made a stuffing and rolled up the turkey breast and stuffing like a cinnamon roll.

In addition to the apple pie we also made a pumpkin flan for dessert.

All in all a very delicious meal. I was particularly fond of the turkey roulade.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:16 AM

A few girls had a ton of people over to their place for Thanksgiving dinner at college (well, the Sunday before) and I brought the turkey -- or, turducken actually ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turducken ). It was awesome. Definitely going to make it a Thanksgiving tradition.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A few girls had a ton of people over to their place for Thanksgiving dinner at college (well, the Sunday before) and I brought the turkey -- or, turducken actually ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turducken ). It was awesome. Definitely going to make it a Thanksgiving tradition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh we had that once at Christmas - it was excellent.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:49 PM

cts: A friend of mine once MADE a turducken. Pretty crazy, having to debone and put back together all three birds, but wow, it was great. Ordering is probably the way to go, though. For a real treat, try deep-frying a turducken.

Boris: WTF, no pictures of the finished roulade? Had you mentioned the flan, I might have reconsidered my insistence of having turkey on Thanksgiving.

All: I was in charge of turkey, stuffing and gravy (made both a brown gravy and white milk gravy). Brined as described above, put in a bunch of aromatics, and had a delicious 11 pound turkey done in 2 hours! Made some cornbread stuffing w/ celery, onions, chestnuts, apples, and sausage in it. Yum. Other stuff we had - brie/crackers, salad w/ avocado and other good stuff, yams w/ brown sugar, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, green beans, and apple pie (that was good but not as good as Boris' awesome pie) for dessert. Whitehall Lane Belmoscato (sweet wine) with the cheese/crackers, Testarossa Pinot with dinner, and 21yo Balvenie Portwood after dinner!