Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 11:44 PM

Default $16 TPTK multiway early

How's this? Flop is super drawy so I just call the min raise. First few hands so no reads. I was going to c/c turn but villain's bet looks so weak that I'm sure I'm ahead.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1430)
Hero (t1470)
MP1 (t1470)
MP2 (t1460)
MP3 (t1720)
CO (t1960)
Button (t1210)
SB (t1510)
BB (t1270)

Preflop: Hero is in UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, Hero calls t20, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, MP2 calls t20, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, CO calls t20, Button calls t20, SB calls t10, BB checks

Flop: (t120) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t85</font>, MP2 calls t85, <font color="red">CO raises to t170</font>, Button calls t170, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, Hero calls t85, MP2 calls t85

Turn: (t800) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 players)
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="red">CO bets t160</font>, Button calls t160, <font color="red">Hero raises to t1280 (All-in)</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>
Old 10-30-2007, 01:49 AM

Default Re: $16 TPTK multiway early

I've seen donks make these kind of bets all the time. {It seems AQ is the hand of the last week.} Honestly though, I would just call. I know it's weak but 6 players saw the flop. I find it hard to believe that one-pair is the best hand here.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:10 AM

It seems to me like co is on some form of draw and wants to get there cheap.

But unfortunately I think my views have been warped a little from seeing results.

From results NH.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:57 AM

Early in a SNG with AQ utg I am raising. Not always a popular decision but calling just means you will end up with a lot of limpers and after the flop you have no idea where you are. Someone could have 10 3o for all I know. Even with AA you wouldn't know what you are up against without a pre flop raise.

If you raised you get a thinned out field and an idea on who might have what.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:57 AM

This is a mess to play but I like a c/c on the flop.

I mean, if he rr properly, you can not really call.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Early in a SNG with AQ utg I am raising. Not always a popular decision but calling just means you will end up with a lot of limpers and after the flop you have no idea where you are. Someone could have 10 3o for all I know. Even with AA you wouldn't know what you are up against without a pre flop raise.

If you raised you get a thinned out field and an idea on who might have what.

[/ QUOTE ]

That might be true in theory but in practice what you get is higher variance and still no idea where you are. Early in an SNG, I find that players will call raises with very much the same sorts of hands they would limp with. Yeah, you might knock out T3s, but QT will call a raise. If you raise more to get fewer callers, you've ended up putting a lot of chips in with a hand that needs to improve if you're going to be confident you're ahead. Also, psychologically, you're going to feel you have to cbet a lot of flops and before you know it, you've put in a ton of chips with ace high against players who will sometimes call a raise with nothing and a bet on the flop with the same hand.

I'm not saying you're wrong definitively. I think that both points of view have merit. I tend to like keeping pots small if I don't have a great hand because I think having 1700 chips is less of a positive than having 1300 is a negative, but YMMV.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:06 AM

They both folded and you won so good move. Are you asking because you wanted to get value out of TPGK? I think its pretty risky with such a draw heavy board.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:14 AM

In general i raise AQ in such situation, and in general i don't like going allin for 1500 after limping for 20 with TPTK, i don't believe it ends up good enough times.

As played im potting it on flop, too many draws.