Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: kyle\'s winter diet and exercise log.

Because I'm 24 and left serious baseball (D1/D3 after injury) behind me. I am enjoying my rehab as a pitcher (I threw in D1) and played a position in D3. There's no reason to specialize in amateur leagues.

Diet's fine. I'm eating less than maintainance.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:00 PM

I haven't thought to come to H & F in a long time, I forgot how much I love this place!

[ QUOTE ]
I find it very interesting the way the barrel of the bat goes towards his head at the start of his swing. I've done a lot of research on pitching but not so much on hitting. When I played I was always told I had a beautiful swing so I never thought about it at all. I always thought of Ryne Sandberg as the perfect swing. It just seemed so effortless and looked completely natural with nothing goofy or gimmicky. Where did this clip of Miggy come from?

[/ QUOTE ]

We call this "Live and Independent Hands."

"Live"- Hands continue to move, they never stop or become stagnant/stale within the swing.
"Independent"- They work independent of their shoulders/hips. If not they will gate swing b/c the hands will rotate w/ the shoulders.

That is a very standard def for the two terms. Basically what is going on is that for there to be positive motion we need negative motion as well. Hands can't strike the ball from a still position, we can't create power this way--a boxer doesn't punch by just jabbing his arm outward, you will see a negative move first.

The back hand/arm makes the same exact motion as you would if you were to throw. This is much easier to explain/demonstrate in person. Anyway, imagine you are in your batting stance and you have a ball in your right hand (assuming you're a right-handed hitter), the idea is to skip a baseball (throwing sidearm) off the top of the pitcher's mound. Now watch the video again, you can see this motion w/ his back arm--looks like he could skip a rock across a pond or a baseball off the mound. This gets the hands started, creates power. It brings the barrel forward is what you are seeing but the most important thing you want is the hands moving/getting started, which then locks you into that bat lag position which allows you to hit in a big zone (something else to explain).

The front arm just needs to lead w/ the elbow, the worst language I hear is "knob to the ball." Knob to the ball doesn't express the path the barrel needs to take. More that could be expressed some other time. If you were in your stance and with your left arm (assuming you were right-handed again) threw a frisbee correctly this would be the correct motion the left arm would make.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:43 PM

Thanks tdarko. "Drive the knob of the bat to the ball" is a really bad cue, but sometimes it's hard to get kids to understand the concept of a circular hand path around the body. However, I have had success in coaching kids using the concept you introduced to me: Visualizing the body getting out of the way of the swing. It helps them to block the front leg and maintain a better weight shift as they initiate a rotational swing.

"Live and independent hands" is an interesting phrase I will use in the future - I currently use the concept of "preloading" and "separation" for that part of the swing.

What I've been saying to help with the hand path are:
-Stick your rear elbow into your side (helps eliminate bat drag)
-Utilize a "trigger" stride (helps block the front leg and understand rotation while keeping the head still)
-Hands move around the body, not to the ball

Thoughts?
Old 10-06-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I've been saying to help with the hand path are:
-Stick your rear elbow into your side (helps eliminate bat drag)
-Utilize a "trigger" stride (helps block the front leg and understand rotation while keeping the head still)
-Hands move around the body, not to the ball

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good. "Getting the body out of the way of the swing" is some of the best advice I ever received years ago--and was told it again later when I was learning how to pitch. Really good stuff.

I love the elbow into the side, that is a power position--every good hitter and big league hitter does this, you have to do this for a ton of reasons. Such a great concept.

You don't want bat drag of course but something that has been a mistake for so many years is bat path to the ball. Everything I have read you do a good job w/ bat path---and those gifs are the best thing ever!

Anyway, all our lives we were always taught to "swing down on the ball." The reason big league hitters are so good is that their hitting zone is so large (what I was talking about when I said "big zone"). What I mean by this is when you swing down on the ball (this is stuff you already know, kind of just rambling) the barrel of the bat is out of the zone for most of the bat path until it strikes the ball--then if you have timed the pitch right it is in the strike zone briefly and then out of the zone again. The reason that isn't good is that you have to time each swing relatively perfect to give yourself a chance to center the baseball, resulting in a ton of foul balls and obv missed pitches.

Take the gif at the beginning of the thread: Using live and independent hands and keeping that elbow "locked" into that side the barrel is now lagging through the zone. Such a weird term b/c it implies slowness, but that is what the term drag implies. We want bat lag, the barrel to sweep behind the plate, through the heart of the plate and then out in front and extended. That is hitting in a big zone like in the gif, watch the barrel of his bat. What this does is reduce the need for timing each pitch. For instance, let's say you mis-time a pitch badly and are way late--hitting in that big zone and with the barrel behind the plate will give you a chance to drive a ball to the opposite field. Big leaguers do this all the time, we watch games and see them do it and it looks like an accident but it isn't...they swing in such a big zone that they are giving themselves the best possible chance to drive the ball. Then let's say you are way early, w/ that barrel staying in the zone for so long--even way out in front of the plate this allows for those balls you are early on to be centered and hit for HR's much of the time.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:02 PM

Good job kyleb! Keep up the good work!
Old 10-08-2007, 06:38 AM

10/6:

Diet:
-Bowl of cold cereal
-Grilled chicken BBQ sandwich
-Can't really remember what else but it was healthy enough

Exercise:
-Have a tweaked right hamstring; sat the baseball game out
Old 10-08-2007, 06:39 AM

10/7:

Diet:
-Bowl of cold cereal
-Tortilla spring rolls with chicken
-Couple slices of sausage/onion pizza with light cheese (cheat meal for the week!)

Exercise:
-Right hamstring still not feeling well. Going to resume heavy lifting tomorrow.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:49 PM

10/8:

Diet:
-Bowl of oatmeal
-Sausage sandwich with french fries (Bleh)
-A short beer

Exercise:
-None, felt like [censored]. Worked all day.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:21 PM

10/9:

Diet:
-Nutrigrain bar
-Hardshell steak tacos with tomato salsa and cheese
-Bottle of mexican coke
-Chicken sandwich and a baked potato
-PB&J sandwich on wheat berry bread

Exercise:
-Bullpen day. Threw ~50 pitches from the mound, threw some long toss, and worked on the side on mechanics. Ran a little bit, stretched a ton, did ~20 lunges with rotation.
-Going to lift in a bit but wanted to get this log entry in. Going to do 3x5 squats (probably 150/175/225), lunges, cable rotation, flat dumbbell press, and run a mile.