Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 01:11 PM

Default OTForum Poll in AtF

In AboutTheForums, there's a poll about all the OtherTopics forums, including this one. We're not ranked that highly, which isn't the worst thing in the world; I think CTH serves a very different purpose than OOT, or Politics, or any other entertaining forum. Still, if you guys can think of any ways to improve this forum, please let me know. You can post here or shoot me a PM.

Thanks.
-Sam
Old 01-24-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Re: OTForum Poll in AtF

eh you have a nice bell curse as of now and I voted highly I think this is one of the forums that doesn't get much attention and you don't know how great it is until you're in need..
Old 01-24-2007, 08:00 PM

Sam,

I agree with Jeff above. It's not really an OOT type of forum in that it's not just social discussion. This forum is a great reference and source for all posters, even if they only read it when they actually have a problem or need some advice on what to purchase. In this regard it's kind of like the probability forum in not getting a lot of traffic, but nonetheless being an essential forum.

As for improvements, the only thing I can think of is just trying to keep an updated sticky with links to FAQs, but with even more detail than in the current one. Of course that assumes some n00b actually bothers to read same, which is probably only a 50-50 proposition at best. Regarding such FAQs, maybe the thing to do is to start a thread occasionally on a certain topic which itself is to be a link thread, and then that link thread being put in the FAQ. That way you don't have to change the FAQ as often, but just update the various link threads with more links.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for improvements, the only thing I can think of is just trying to keep an updated sticky with links to FAQs, but with even more detail than in the current one. Of course that assumes some n00b actually bothers to read same, which is probably only a 50-50 proposition at best. Regarding such FAQs, maybe the thing to do is to start a thread occasionally on a certain topic which itself is to be a link thread, and then that link thread being put in the FAQ. That way you don't have to change the FAQ as often, but just update the various link threads with more links.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been thinking about improvements on and off all day....It may be worthwhile to have additional stickies that break down topics....esp for some frequent FAQ's (VeryFAQ's/FFAQ's? Department of redundancy department?)

mibbie a few stickies like Multi-monitor/multi-tabling FAQ

Current best bang for the buck new desktop/laptop FAQ

Steps to save money spec'ing a new computer FAQ (like ordering RAM from newegg although the rest of the computer comes from Dell)

just a couple ideas to toss out......I don't want to see a ton of stickies, but about 3 (and by no means necessarilly the 3 I mentioned ablve...the last one is very low-content and prolly not deserving of it's own stickie) in addition to the main FAQ w/ targeted subject lines could make this a better place for those wandering in (drawback is this would actually decrease the posting numbers.....but would be providing a service w/o us repeating the same info over and over or saying "check the FAQ"

(edited for typos/minor clarification)