Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 02:32 AM

Default PCA Step 2 4 player left, SB sitting out.

How's this? I figure BB cannot call very wide with SB sitting out. Top 2 get seat to step 3, 3-4 do a repeat. Obviously I'm playing to advance and need to accumulate. Not used to satelite structures and steps but this seemed like a good play at the time. Sb had been sitting out for past 20 minutes. I made a similar play and got called when 5 ppl were left (BB was sitting out and SB was semi short).

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t150 (4 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

CO (t9175)
Hero (t1660)
SB (t1080)
BB (t1585)

Preflop: Hero is in Button with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t1660 (All-in)</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, BB calls t1435 (All-in)
Old 10-30-2007, 03:24 AM

Default Re: PCA Step 2 4 player left, SB sitting out.

If your other play was similar to this and you had a showdown, doing it here is going to be bad.

If SB has been gone that long, it's safe to assume he's going to blind off, so this is effectively the bubble. Given that you and the CL have position on the BB, he's probably going to be more eager to call, since he won't have as many opportunities to steal. I'm pretty sure that makes this a bad push.

BTW, you don't need to accumulate here. If SB is blinding off, you just have to outlast BB. If he happens to double, then you can start worrying about doing so yourself.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:30 AM

Default Re: PCA Step 2 4 player left, SB sitting out.

Ok thanks for the advice. Villain called w/ k9s which I was pretty sure would never be in a players range in this spot. I should've thought more about the situation before reverting to my super aggro tactics [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]