Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 12:09 AM

Default Re: AA OTB

[ QUOTE ]
i think this depends highly on the postflop aggression level of your opponents. in a live game i fold this without thinking about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

eh you should always think about all your decisions, even if they always turn out to be correct. Figuring out why you make all your standard plays deepens your understanding of the game by sharpening the relationship between the assumptions you make about your opponents and the conclusions you draw from those assumptions on how to play your hand.

/end nitpick
Old 10-27-2007, 12:13 AM

what stakes?
Old 10-27-2007, 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what stakes?

[/ QUOTE ]

5/10
Old 10-27-2007, 11:34 AM

Seems to me even though he's probably got the goods, you call 1 bet no matter what in a pot this size when OTB.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:08 AM

On-line, this size pot, I call 'cause I think I win more than 6% of the time. FWIW, I play 5/10 fr most of time and have seen AK in this situation enough times to make me call the last bet.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:54 AM

here's the way it went down. in the actual hand, MP bets the river and CO raises and i instamucked. with that being said, going into the river i was pretty much planning on not showing down UI a good chunk of the time.

MP's action screamed of exactly KQ and CO was most likely on a draw or had a weak pair of some sort. as it turned out CO held J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and got lucky on the turn.

i don't think we see AK here for several reasons. there are only a few combos of it left(since i have AA and there's a King out) for one. also, i think we can heavily discount it based on the action pf. AK is capped pf by most all tight/aggro(pf) players in this game. the action after the flop discounted it as well. he can't put me on less than AA/AK/KK/99 after my pf and flop play(and if i had an overplayed QQ he's behind on the turn) so his turn checkraise makes no sense because he's getting 3bet alot.

i also heavily doubt a guy with his stats would show up with KJ after this pf, flop and turn action. that said, i felt that if i was beating a hand KJs was it.

so that leaves KQ and 99. 99 would usually cap the flop so i figured i had outs against his two pair most of the time. i was easily getting the price to call the turn trying to improve to twopair/set planning on maybe calling if it gets HU but not necessarily overcalling.

edit to add:

this isn't the type of fold we should typically be making. if it were, there wouldn't be a point in posting it. thought i would solicit some feedback as it's a spot i used to always call. if you're the type that would go tiltmonkey if he did show KJ, then it's going to be alot cheaper to just throw the extra BB in and showdown. the fact that i was going to get to see his cards without paying did play some factor.

also wanted to add(i forgot to mention) that the pot is protected with the 3rd player in. that means we are both going to play much more straightforwardly and as such compounded my reasoning behind the laydown.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:15 AM

So what was MP's hand?
Old 10-28-2007, 01:41 PM

* grunch *

Well, MP's play does look like KQ or JT(diamonds) . He's not very aggro post flop so his c/r on the turn has to be a big worry. CO we probably beat so I wouldn't worry about him.

Only hands I could think MP could have that you beat are AK and sometimes KJ. I still would probably call in this big pot.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what was MP's hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

KQo. don't remember the exact suits.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:28 PM

James,

I think its probably a fold, but I sanity call pretty much always. This is one of those spots that seems like a big mistake when you fold the winner, but really it isn't a big mistake or a mistake at all because you're folding a winner so rarely.

It does hurt when you fold and he shows down AK though.

Also if you didn't have the Ad, I'd be more likely to call the river. This kind of opponent is likely to play AdKd like this sometimes.