Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Beat: Wells Fargo ATM eats my withdrawal

Head over to local WF branch at lunch to withdraw some money. Teller line is looong, so I hit up one of the ATMs. Insert card, request money, yadda yadda yadda...except that instead of giving me my bills, the machine has a small nervous breakdown, throws an error message (something along the lines of "Oh, crap" on a bright red background), and then tells me my transaction has been canceled. Fine...except that the receipt I'm given shows the money, $700, as having already been debited against my account. And then the machine goes [censored]-up and the standard welcome screen is replaced with the MACHINE OUT OF SERVICE prompt. Crap.

I head over to the next ATM and check my balance, and yeah, it's $700 down. Crap.

Get in the looooong line and finally reach a teller. She confirms that my account has been debited $700 and that to recover the money I will need to file a claim. WTF? I am directed to a customer service phone in the lobby.

Talk to customer service rep, who confirms that, yes, this is their procedure: she initiates a claim on my behalf, and Wells Fargo investigates it, a process that can take 5-10 business days. If no conclusion is reached in 10 business days, my claims will be "provisionally" granted, but subject to reversal if the facts later indicate otherwise. In the meantime...have a nice day. Not even an "I'm-sorry-our-machine-ate-your-$700."

I'm sure I'm not the first person to encounter this sort of ATM problem, but Jesus, what a crock: I use their ATM, they debit my account without paying me my monies, and now I have to go through a two week process to recover said monies. Sucks.

Cliff Notes: Wells Fargo ATM ate my money. Wells Fargo says "Give us two weeks and we'll look into getting your money back. Sucker."
Old 06-25-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Beat: Wells Fargo ATM eats my withdrawal

They're going to look at the camera footage? I don't see what the big deal is. If they don't get around to it you still get your money back.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:47 PM

You suck at presenting your case/taking a stand/getting positive results.

Mapquest: "my balls".
Old 06-25-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They're going to look at the camera footage? I don't see what the big deal is. If they don't get around to it you still get your money back.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a lot more faith in Wells Fargo's IS department than I do. Remember, their machine took a dump in the middle of this transaction, so my lack of payout may/may not have been recorded properly. I'm a database developer IRL, so I'm a lot less trusting about a failed process like this turning out correctly.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:55 PM

If you are a WF customer you're probably ok. I had this happen over a year ago with a Neteller transaction at a Chase ATM where the money went back into the machine. Neteller has to treat is as a fraud claim against Chase, I think it took three months for me to eventually get my money back.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:47 PM

I had to leave Wells Fargo about 2 weeks ago. I left my debit card in an ATM machine, and called up within a few hours to request a new card. 6 weeks later, I finally received a new card after talking to various "supervisors" and all kinds of other idiots on the phone and going to several branches.

They had always been good to me before, but they seriously treated me like dogshit so I was done with them.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:58 PM

I never had any problem with wells fargo.. much better than boa.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:59 PM

(I used to work at a bank as a teller, so this advice is A++)

When the machine doesn't balance, they'll figure it out.

You'll be fine.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:29 AM

I also worked as a teller. He's right.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:50 AM

Cool. Thanks.