Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Yanks offer job to Girardi

[ QUOTE ]
k thx...didn't know about the yankee roots

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you not know he played for the Yankees or was a bench coach for them?
Old 10-29-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
k thx...didn't know about the yankee roots

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you not know he played for the Yankees or was a bench coach for them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahah...no one else ever gets to call me uninformed.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
mondo garage... u ruin threads because you aren't intelligent knowledgable or logical

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you're saying is, when one person says one thing, it's valid. When someone else says the same thing, it "ruins the thread".

Okay.

And you're the one saying I lack logic. Riiiight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm saying that you have lost all credibility with 90% of ur posts being idiotic... if someone rags on u for one of ur non idiotic posts... get over it... you deserve it for being so dumb and yet still so stubborn
Old 10-29-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Now here's a hypothetical -- if by, say, August 15th, the Yankees are 6-7 games out in the division, and 3-4 games out in the wild card race, and any of those guys are bumping up against those limits (or will exceed them at current pace), and you're Cashman or Hank, do you tell Girardi to screw the limits, win now? Because a WS title is the only way to measure success in the Bronx?

Or do you fire Girardi for missing the playoffs by two games, at the end of the season, when he kept to the innings/pitch count limits?

(All of this kinda assumes there's not a truly top flight FA-to-be rental out there next year, because there weren't any this year.)

In other words, do you give Girardi a free pass this year because of the pitchers' limits, or do you force him to disregard those same limits if its the only way to likely make the playoffs next year?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Joba rules gave us the answer to this. If this scenario happens, and they are 6 games out on August 15th, with a couple of young pitchers having their innings limited, the whole city of New York will be screaming that they should pitch more, and the Yankee organization will agree.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
mondo garage... u ruin threads because you aren't intelligent knowledgable or logical

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you're saying is, when one person says one thing, it's valid. When someone else says the same thing, it "ruins the thread".

Okay.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he's just saying you're a bad poster with little to no grip on logic.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone who know what they're talking about plz explain to me why Girardi is now managing the Yankees?

How many years as a manager does he have?

Seems the consensus is that he's great with pitchers. Ok, cool. Anything else?

[/ QUOTE ]

He has one year of managerial experience. Donnie has none. This probably didn't matter as I would assume he's now managing the Yankees due to their side-by-side interviews. Doubtful anyone who wasn't in those would have knowledge of the exact differences between the two.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm saying that you have lost all credibility with 90% of ur posts being idiotic... if someone rags on u for one of ur non idiotic posts... get over it... you deserve it for being so dumb and yet still so stubborn

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, at least your screenname fits, even if it's the only thing about you that makes any sense.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

That said, a lot of those young pitchers suffered severe falloffs and/or injuries this year, notably, Josh Johnson and Scott Olson. How much of that is attributable to overwork in 2006?

Josh Johnson threw 157 innings as a 22 year old in 2006.
Scott Olson threw 180 innings as a 22 year old in 2006.
Ricky Nolasco threw 140 innings as a 23 year old in 2006.

Those numbers seem high to me for their ages.

[/ QUOTE ]

Less than half the story. What options did he have? Did the Marlins management provide him with any other pitchers to fill innings? How many pitches per outing? What was the injury history of these pitchers? How well were these pitchers pitching and how good was the bullpen?

Start with those.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone who know what they're talking about plz explain to me why Girardi is now managing the Yankees?

How many years as a manager does he have?

Seems the consensus is that he's great with pitchers. Ok, cool. Anything else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Girardi has one year of managerial experience and was a catcher during his playing career. He has an engineering degree and articulates himself well. He has shown a capacity for being a very competent baseball tactician.

On the other hand, Mattingly is soft spoken and performed poorly (IMHO) during the few games where he was acting manager: See, e.g., game between Yankees and Mariners on May 7, 2007.

And Torre and Mattingly may be wearing a lighter shade of Blue by tomorrow -- Dodger blue to be specific.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That said, a lot of those young pitchers suffered severe falloffs and/or injuries this year, notably, Josh Johnson and Scott Olson. How much of that is attributable to overwork in 2006?

Josh Johnson threw 157 innings as a 22 year old in 2006.
Scott Olson threw 180 innings as a 22 year old in 2006.
Ricky Nolasco threw 140 innings as a 23 year old in 2006.

Those numbers seem high to me for their ages.

[/ QUOTE ]

Less than half the story. What options did he have? Did the Marlins management provide him with any other pitchers to fill innings? How many pitches per outing? What was the injury history of these pitchers? How well were these pitchers pitching and how good was the bullpen?

Start with those.

[/ QUOTE ]

someone posted the stats in another thread but he pitched them in the danger zone (110+ pitches) a lot. doesn't matter what other options you have, you still don't rape what you do have. go tell the GM to call up some other pitchers; i'm sure florida doesn't want to see their future get raped either. be proactive. unless you're a bad manager like girardi.