Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 09:01 AM

Default Late position Open vs. loose later position and or blinds ?

I've been ruminating HEPFAP 21 century edition again and came upon a point on which I need some clarity.

This need hinges specifically on a quote from pg 32 paragraph 2 and 3 of that work from 2+2 publishing.

The authors write.

“In general you should tend to play aggressively if the pot is short handed, unless the blinds and the remaining players are loose. If the pot is already multiway, however, you should be less aggressive unless you hold a hand that plays well in multiway pots."

"You should understand that if you are in late position and are the first player to enter the pot, any hand that you should play is almost always worth a raise. This usually means hands in group1-7 maybe those in group 8"

"However, if there are already callers, only normally raise with hands in groups 1-3 and sometimes with group 4 hands (except if there are many players do not raise with high unsuited cards, but conversely be somewhat inclined to raise with hands as weak as group 5 if they are straight flush combinations"

So in the situation where you are a potential late position opener against loose blinds or loose blinds and other loose later position players, what hands should be opened with and how?

For clarification I looked further into the text noted above and I found what seems to be exactly that clarification in Part 5 Playing short handed, when the blinds are very loose pg 197 of that work noted above.

Again I quote from Hold em Poker for Advanced Players 2+2 publishing

“When the blinds are very loose or at least are highly apt to defend their blinds there are hands that you should just call with."

Further down the page the authors give examples of hands like Ac6h (which should be folded any where off the button or raised) and hands like 98s.

It is this last hand that either shines light on or slings mud upon the prior excerpt.
Moreover excerpt one seems to instruct the reader to raise with these weaker group 4&5 straight flush combos and excerpt 2 instructs the reader to call with them. Excertps from a sentence that clears this up somewhat seems to lie in the first. Again I quote “However if there are already callers” and “If there are many players… be somewhat inclined to raise with [hands as weak as] Group 5 straight flush combinations."

So I am lead to believe that the middle ground lies somewhere beyond this muddy road Im traveling. The question is where?

Or put more succinctly

Which hands /groups should I raise with or call with If I am a late position opener against loose blinds or loose blinds and other loose later position players and why?

timmer

cross posted on medium limit hold em
Old 09-13-2007, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Late position Open vs. loose later position and or blinds ?

Pretty sure I haven't looked at this book for years...

It doesn't really cover todays online scene, and if you play that way you will likely be run over...

JT
Old 09-13-2007, 03:45 AM

Default Re: Late position Open vs. loose later position and or blinds ?

HPFAP is about live middle limit ring games. While almost all of what the book tells you is very true, it doesn't really apply to 6-max online games. In general you should open for a raise 35-45% of your hands in late position depending on various factors partially your exact position and the players behind you.