Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2007, 07:17 PM

Default Re: DVD Discussion: Before Sunrise

Okay I finally got a chance to see this one. I liked it. I liked it a lot.

The characters where great and the performances just about perfect. I agree with Dominic about the idea of just 2 people talking can be very powerful when it works and here it really worked well. I felt the script was just about perfectly written.

I really liked the scene at the end that just went around showing for a few seconds all the places they spent their time together. I expect I will be watching the sequel in short order.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:49 AM

I have the sequel ready to watch. Anyone else wanna parlay this particular club choice into a second part then?
Old 06-24-2007, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have the sequel ready to watch. Anyone else wanna parlay this particular club choice into a second part then?

[/ QUOTE ]
of course!
Old 06-24-2007, 03:04 AM

okay, let's discuss it,er, Friday?
Old 06-29-2007, 07:01 AM

Before Sunset

What a beautiful film. Again, the two leads really make a terrific impression, and their time together is magical and thoroughly engaging.

This film seems more realistic than the first. Stuff in the first like the poetry writer and the fortune teller seems like partly-forced devices to steer the conversation (and don't get me wrong, this is a very minor quibble), whilst the second seemed completely natural start to end.

It's also a deeply tragic film. It's always a little sad to compare youthful hope and optimism with older, wiser but less sure older versions of a person (watch "42 Up" to see what I mean), but it's way deeper than that.

I still remain unsure whether he actually turned up (I think he probably did, but I was convinced at the end of the first one he'd be the one not to show up, cos he didn't realise what he had in Celine), but he seemed to have attempted to move on past Celine in a way she couldn't. She was just lost, period. He didn't succeed in moving past her though.

The scene in the car was the most affecting to me, and I can't recall two actors in a realistic scene having such a strong effect on me, and being so powerful.

Their first time together seems to have been, in some respects, the ruin of them. They both met someone they deeply connected to, and it seems thereafter they could not get past it - I think some of us have had this (I know I have), to have really loved someone and lost them, and been haunted by the ghost of love lost for months and years and feeling lost, maybe hurting for being discarded so thoroughly and casually...

And I'm sure many men (and women) feel like they're 'running a small kindergarden with someone they once dated' too, life sometimes works out like that. But they continue that way because of the deep and profound love for their children, and believe that they are doing what is best for their kids, like Jesse says.

I was saddened when she suddenly mentioned she'd read he was married with a child - up till that point I thought the sky was the limit for them, but after I knew if they were to be together, people would get hurt. And if they weren't together, they'd never be happy.

I think I'll probably not watch this movie for a long time - it saddened me deep down. Even with that GREAT ending.

Ah, I'm rambling, and probably have more to say, but I'll let others speak first.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:26 AM

I've got it in my possession and will try to watch this evening. I'm not reading your review until then.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:39 AM

the car scene may be one of the best 5-10 minute scenes in film. yea, it was that good. What I really love is that there still is some of that bright eyed kid in them when they get back together, but time and relationships prevent them from bringing out that side fully in them. You see them wanting to fully reach out to one another but holding back because a) it's been 9 years and b) they are both in relationships and have to honor that fact though both of them clearly just want to be with each other.

what really gets me more with this one is that it's all in real time. What we see is their actual time together up until the end. I really think that really sucks us in and really makes us believe that we are just peering into these two people's lives for 80 some odd minutes and it just makes it all that much more real. What I like about this the most is that these two people are people that we may come across in our daily lives, granted, they are better looking and quite possibly much more interesting then the general populace, but, real nonetheless. THey have normal problems and Linklater doesn't glorify their problems by making them out to be more then they are. This is a film that I personally have watched probably 12 times and have picked up a lot of stuff each and every time.

something interesting that I realized later was that in waking life, Linklater gives us a possible spoiler for their story. of course, it could just be his way of messing with us
Old 06-29-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's hard to separate this from its sequel, Before Sunset, and I tend to gravitate towards the latter for the simple reason I can better relate to the wistful, somewhat jaded yet still hopeful realism that the two leads bring to the story as opposed to the sheer romanticism of youth that the first one so expertly captures. They're both little miracles of film making and are my two favorite romance movies ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 100% and although Before Sunrise is a wonderful film I think the sense of regret that permeates the sequel makes it even more powerful.

I also think it's a crime that neither Delpy or Hawke were nominated for their acting in Before Sunset. 2 of the most believably natural performances I've seen.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It's hard to separate this from its sequel, Before Sunset, and I tend to gravitate towards the latter for the simple reason I can better relate to the wistful, somewhat jaded yet still hopeful realism that the two leads bring to the story as opposed to the sheer romanticism of youth that the first one so expertly captures. They're both little miracles of film making and are my two favorite romance movies ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 100% and although Before Sunrise is a wonderful film I think the sense of regret that permeates the sequel makes it even more powerful.

I also think it's a crime that neither Delpy or Hawke were nominated for their acting in Before Sunset. 2 of the most believably natural performances I've seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Strangely enough, they both WERE nominated for Oscars for this film - for their screenplay (along with Linklater).
Old 06-29-2007, 07:26 PM

This one touches me more than the first, too - mostly for the reasons DB mentioned. There's something so incredibly melancholy about it that just, well...hurts. Lost love, choices made and not made, regrets, feeling like you're stuck in a life not of your making but still somehow responsible for...believe me, I can relate.

And what's even more touching to me is the two leads physical presence. It's 9 years later and Hawkes is more gaunt with lines around his eyes and face, yet that youthful passion and light is somehow gone from his eyes. It's as if the weight of his responsibilities weigh him down. And Delpy, though still incredibly beautiful, has lost some weight (like so many 30-something women feel they must do); that lush ripeness of youth is no longer there. Her character also seems manic, almost desperate now - for that connection to be real once again. You get the feeling that if she found out it had been merely a figment of her romanticized youth she would have a breakdown.

The car scene is very real, and it's painful to watch. If the movie had ended there it would be almost unbearable. Thank god then for the magical place it does end on! Delpy's dance and song (which she did, in fact, write herself) is so perfect and romantic and real that it leaves me with a high I don't come down from for days.

Perfect, perfect film. One of my top ten favorites for sure.