Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 02:46 PM

Default NL [censored] SUCKS!!

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Maybe this is the way it goes or maybe I'm doing something wrong but I seem to lose huge pots and win the blinds; I would rather win big pots and lose blinds so is my play what's causing this?

My pfrs are generally always the same N% of the pot, my cont bets are always a similar M% of pot but for the most part (unless I'm completely crushed), nothing. Nobody pays. Am I coming across like a steamroller where the only hands that play back are ones I'm behind? I bet flopped sets same as UI overcards so it's not like "I bet huge == I am huge" or "tiny bets == I have nothing".

This is my first hand at table and only have ~60 meaningless datamined hands on villain who is at 19/15/1.

Like I said, I only win blinds so didn't want to reraise so huge that he folds but is $2 too small of a reraise?

Flop's got to be a call right? Or not? I mean if he wanted me to call he wouldn't be doing this here right?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $6.20
UTG+1: $25.80
CO: $58.95
Button: $13.60
SB: $21.35
hero: $25

Pre-flop: (6 players) hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $0.85</font>, 3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">hero raises to $2</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($4.1, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">hero bets $4.1</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises all-in $23.8</font>, hero ...

villain is fishy but I've had a number of sets with the same outcome - bet a drawy board and 0 action. Should I be checking these?

Full Tilt Poker
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
hero: $24.75
CO: $25.65
Button: $27.70
SB: $33.45
BB: $21.50

Pre-flop: (5 players) hero is UTG with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">hero raises to $1</font>, 3 folds, BB calls.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($2.1, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">hero bets $2</font>, BB folds.
Uncalled bets: $2 returned to hero.

mopsqueezers again, different table, another first hand and few datamined stats on villain who was 60/12/1 over ~100 hands.

Do I just put him in? c-f? I don't know.

Full Tilt Poker
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $7.15
UTG+1: $16.30
CO: $9.35
Button: $23.25
SB: $14.20
hero: $24.65

Pre-flop: (6 players) hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $0.75</font>, 3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">hero raises to $2.6</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($5.3, 3 players)
hero ...
Old 08-05-2007, 03:05 PM

Default Re: NL [censored] SUCKS!!

#1 I'd probably call, bu reads would really decide it. Folding isn't a bad option though

#2 you played fine

#3 he's a little stack, just shove.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:20 PM

1) I think these overbet shoves arent monsters very often. Folding if ur not comfortable or dont have a read is fine tho. u 3bet pre was fine.. 3x the open raise is pretty standard, I go a bit more if theyre very liable to call and I want money in the pot (ie most all of my 3betting range) and oop Id 3bet 4 maybe 5x the open.

2) playing this hand any other way sucks hard

3) hes only got a PSB left, put him in and watch him call with almost any PP he called ur 3bet with and myabe AJ ect

if it was UTG+1 who raised pre who had a 16 stack id c bet the flop 3/5 or 4/5ths pot and probably be done with the hand

these hands are not the reasons NL sucks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2007, 04:12 PM

sounds like you're not giving much away, this could simply be a case of bad timing; everyone hitting when you're missing and missing when you're hitting. doubt it's much of an issue but you might want to make sure you're giving off timing tells (doubtful).

[ QUOTE ]

Like I said, I only win blinds so didn't want to reraise so huge that he folds but is $2 too small of a reraise?

[/ QUOTE ]

$2 is too small, i'd make it $3. if you feel like you won't get any action with that reraise then i'd say you found a great spot to start bluffing.

as played i'd call, this look like a "i don't want you to call" type raise, probably a bluff or a weak hand like tpnk. a read would be nice but if you're beat make a note and move on.

hand 2 is standard.

hand 3 yeah just put him in.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:13 PM

#1 massive overbets from weaktight players are often medium strength hands. Since you have better than a medium strength hand, you should call. He probably has AJ. Folding, however, is rarely a big mistake in this situation: his range includes TT, JT and twopair, etc hands, which act to make the situation close.

#3 I CRAI. I do not like open shoving because he can get away from TT and AJ, but would likely make a stab at the pot, which commits him with any holding, if you check.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:02 PM

Hand one, easier decision if you raise more PF. $2.75 or so. I'm learning that this is a spot where you want to slightly overpot 3-bet these type hands both to maximize your PF equity/reduce his implied odds and make your post flop decisions eaiser, both of which go a way to combatting your positional disadvantage.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are for me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'm mostly just trying to get my bearings so wasn't going to put up bbv hands and these couple were pretty representative of where I wondered if I was making huge bad calls or blowing ppl off hands.

The first QQ hand was AKs and when I stoved it was v surprised to see it was essentially 50/50 the whole way so wondered if I was just plain gambling vs best case of a possible overcard+draw. Personally I think his play was pretty stupid but att I thought maybe mine was.

But I'll tell you why I think NL sucks - in LHE it would take a couple really bad sessions to go down 100bb but in NL you can do that before your seat is warm. Add getting 0 action when you are ahead and you're looking at blind stealing your whole way back. That sucks ass.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The first QQ hand was AKs and when I stoved it was v surprised to see it was essentially 50/50 the whole way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude... AK vs QQ is 45:55 PRE-FLOP ... not after the flop. You're like 85:15 ahead there.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The first QQ hand was AKs and when I stoved it was v surprised to see it was essentially 50/50 the whole way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude... AK vs QQ is 45:55 PRE-FLOP ... not after the flop. You're like 85:15 ahead there.

[/ QUOTE ]

85:15? What's that?

53:46 means 50/50 to me; flop it reversed so instead of saying I was marginally ahead pf and he was marginally ahead on flop I just said 50/50. Does it matter? I guess I don't get what you're saying.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:43 AM

KingOtter didn't realize AK had the flush draw, 50/50 indeed is right on the flop there. You would be a dog but you have some broadway straight blockers.

100 bb in NL is nothing, maybe that's where your confusion is. A 50 BB (that's Big Bets as opposed to [bb] big blinds) limit session is probably equivalent to +5 buyins at NL or 500 bb assuming you full stack.

-DeathDonkey