Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Tell me about your cutting phase

BMI is retarded, but it doesn't consider TO morbidly obese. morbid obesity is reserved for BMI's over 40. TO has a BMI of 28. He is classified as merely overweight.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly don't think there is a single instance where BMI is the best tool (or even a useful) one for determining anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

thremp, of course it's not the best. anything that takes two numbers and can be done on the internet cant be that great. BMI is useful in giving a quick, general idea of whether one needs to lose/gain weight.

over the last 20 years people have gotten so out of shape in general and we have lost perspective of what a good weight for our size means. people who are 15-20 lbs overweight dont think they are anymore because others around them are much, much fatter.

BMI can provide some sort of yardstick for that most people wouldnt bother seeking out.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BMI is retarded.

If a formula classifies Terrell Owens as "morbidly obese" i completely ignore it.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, the limitations address this.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:07 PM

Guys,

I honestly believe that there is room for me to cut some calories, but not a tremendous amount. And I'm also honestly not sure whether I have the will power to go much lower.

But it is certainly plausible to me that I am far overestimating just how "clean" my diet is. I resolve to keep track of everything I eat this week, and I'll report back. I could quickly indicate a fairly typical day, but it might not be accurate.

Oh, what the hell, here is one typical day:

Breakfast. Fairly large size fruit salad.
Mid-breakfast. Banana.
Other items in the morning: If available, I sometimes have some pretzel sticks.
Lunch: Usually a pretty decent size salad. This may be accompanied by a small piece of garlic bread.
Mid aft: more pretzels in the office, perhaps 1-2 bite size candies, or individual twizzlers.
Dinner: Varies pretty much. Sometimes, just soup. Sometimes, a fuller meal. (I will have to detail this, I guess.)
Late night snack: This is where I assume my downfall lies. I like those rice cake snacks, and usually have a serving of that PLUS a small, no-fat yogurt, perhaps with dried blueberries.

Other than that, I have a few cups of black coffee a day.

As you can see, there is certainly some junk here, but overall, pretty good I think. And the question I'll need to resolve is whether I can live with a more pristine diet.

Anyway, this may not be that revealing. I will try to keep a real accurate log for a week, and I look forward to criticisms then.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:17 PM

no offense wynton, but that is not a diet conducive to losing weight OR building muscle...it is very high in carbs, lacks veggies, lacks protein, lacks fat...read some of the berardi articles in the faq, especially the 7 habits article...in order to effectively lose fat you are gonna want a diet much higher in protein/fat and much lower in carbs...
Old 10-23-2007, 05:24 PM

Wynton, your diet is horrible. It's pretty much all sugar.

Looks like you could stand to eat *more* and you must not be working out at all. Work out more.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But it is certainly plausible to me that I am far overestimating just how "clean" my diet is.

[/ QUOTE ]
ORLY!

List of bad things in your example:
-Pretzel sticks (bad carbs)
-Garlic bread (bad carbs, saturated fat)
-candies/twizzlers (bad carbs)
-Soup (can be bad, can be good, depends on kind)
-Rice Cakes (don't be fooled by the 80's low-fat health craze. These are awful for you.

And you might be eating to much fruit as well (spikes your blood sugar which induces fat storage and cravings I believe).
Old 10-23-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no offense wynton, but that is not a diet conducive to losing weight OR building muscle...it is very high in carbs, lacks veggies, lacks protein, lacks fat...read some of the berardi articles in the faq, especially the 7 habits article...in order to effectively lose fat you are gonna want a diet much higher in protein/fat and much lower in carbs...

[/ QUOTE ]

I eat a large salad most days. How could I be lacking veggies?
Old 10-23-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll definitely read anything anyone suggests. I'm obviously not very sophisticated about this. I just assumed lots of fruit and salads was pretty good.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I eat a large salad most days. How could I be lacking veggies?

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, veggies at one meal is not a lot of veggies...

the lack of protein and abundance of carbs is not gonna help you lose fat though...

edit: just saw your second post...read the 7 habits article, its really easy and outlines the basics of setting up a healthy meal plan..

also, salads and fruit are good for you...depending on what is in your salad and what kind of dressing you use it can easily become a problem though...