Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: how much are trees worth? dilemma

[ QUOTE ]
If this were me i'd prob offer 3500-4000, depending on how clear you were about not cutting these trees down. the more clear you were, and the more you liked the trees, the lower the price i think you can offer.

I'm betting if you took it to court/etc you could get it dropped to 0, but you'd also be a dbag, esp if you weren't clear.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is pretty much how i feel, except im thinking of like $3000 or $2000 really.
i didnt think about marking the trees because it seemed fairly simple enough to not cut them down. but this guy should have marked them first thing imo. im not in the business of tree service, but i would think this is standard practice.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you should be able to get some compensation. If you go to court, it'll deal with a verbal declaration which isn't rock solid. This should have been spelled out in writing with a site drawing. Also it would have been smart to mark the trees to be kept or removed. (20/20 hindsight)

[/ QUOTE ]This isn't totally related, but they recommend if you need a leg amputated or something, to write "THIS ONE" and "NOT THIS ONE" in permanent marker on your body to make sure they don't amputate the wrong one which has happened in a few cases.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:42 PM

Just pay them whatever you feel is fair.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:44 PM

more than a fetus less than a hybrid
Old 07-10-2007, 03:59 PM

They can be worth quite a bit more than $4,500. Make sure they aren't allowed to dispose of the trunk... you will need to have it assessed for value.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:01 PM

Send them a picture of you crouching and ready to attack. They will surely waive all fees.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:02 PM

how are you going to address their claim that you merely roundhouse kicked the trees into the ground to avoid paying for their services?
Old 07-10-2007, 04:04 PM

Let me first say that I think most (like 90%) of home contractors are scumbags, and I have many stories similar to yours. In fact, I have one just like it.

Oak trees, about 40 feet tall in my back yard that were clearly designated (through several discussions) to remain standing were cut down. I assure you, those trees are "worth" more than $4500. I paid my guys nothing, and threatened them with suing them for more (with *some* intent to do so, if necessary).

Suing them, of course, would be expensive for both sides, but possession is 9/10ths of the law, and it sounds like you still possess their payment. Keep all of it, tell them you're working with a lawyer to get more money out of them, and they'll either let it go, or offer up a settlement.

Trust me, these guys f*ck up so often that not getting paid is part of the deal. You're being way to generous with your intended offer.

Also, FWIW, when I had similar trees removed from another house, it cost about $1000 bucks and they were much more thorough.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you should be able to get some compensation. If you go to court, it'll deal with a verbal declaration which isn't rock solid. This should have been spelled out in writing with a site drawing. Also it would have been smart to mark the trees to be kept or removed. (20/20 hindsight)

[/ QUOTE ]This isn't totally related, but they recommend if you need a leg amputated or something, to write "THIS ONE" and "NOT THIS ONE" in permanent marker on your body to make sure they don't amputate the wrong one which has happened in a few cases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha is this a joke or not? I know wrong-side amputations and operations have happened but this is pretty funny in either case.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:05 PM

yeah 4500 seems like a lot for this job, especially if they suck