Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 03:12 PM

Default 10/25 NL live I am bad at 3-betting

Foxwoods 10/25, 8-handed.

I have never played with villain before but I recognize him as a very solid pro. Yes, I realize that means I should be careful putting moves on him but for some reason I couldn't help myself.

I have 2800, villain covers.

I am in the SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], and villain is on the button.

Preflop
All fold to villain who raises to 75. I reraise to 260 and he calls.

Flop (550): A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I check, villain checks.

Turn (550): 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I bet 400, villain calls.

River (1350): K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I bet 750. I am trying to represent AA, KK, AK, or maybe AQ here. But now I'm thinking any bet here is stupid. After he calls on the turn, I don't think enough changes on the river that he would then fold.

Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: 10/25 NL live I am bad at 3-betting

[ QUOTE ]
Foxwoods 10/25, 8-handed.

I have never played with villain before but I recognize him as a very solid pro. Yes, I realize that means I should be careful putting moves on him but for some reason I couldn't help myself.

I have 2800, villain covers.

I am in the SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], and villain is on the button.

Preflop
All fold to villain who raises to 75. I reraise to 260 and he calls.

Flop (550): A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I check, villain checks.

Turn (550): 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I bet 400, villain calls.

River (1350): K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I bet 750. I am trying to represent AA, KK, AK, or maybe AQ here. But now I'm thinking any bet here is stupid. After he calls on the turn, I don't think enough changes on the river that he would then fold.

Comments on all streets appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

checking the flop is bad...i hate having to think about what to do after you guys dig yourself into such deep holes...POKER ISNT THIS HARD!
Old 10-29-2007, 03:37 PM

Yes you have to bet this flop here for sure.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:38 PM

checking on the flop is your first mistake because you could of done a probe bet in which you bet 1/2 of the pot if he goes over the top then you know that your beat but checking you just gave him a free card to beat you. with an 8 on the turn you beat 400 which is a good size bet but there is 2 hearts on the board. with him calling the 400 bet he was getting 2-1 odds which on a draw those are favorable odds the river card was another mistake because its another over card to your jacks. and betting 750 and trying to represent bullets was a bad move because you should of bet on the flop. what was the outcome of the hand?
Old 10-29-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
checking on the flop is your first mistake because you could of done a probe bet in which you bet 1/2 of the pot if he goes over the top then you know that your beat but checking you just gave him a free card to beat you. with an 8 on the turn you beat 400 which is a good size bet but there is 2 hearts on the board. with him calling the 400 bet he was getting 2-1 odds which on a draw those are favorable odds the river card was another mistake because its another over card to your jacks. and betting 750 and trying to represent bullets was a bad move because you should of bet on the flop. what was the outcome of the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misread my hand. I had JT and was just making a move.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:49 PM

if you did decide to ch flop and bet turn like you did, you should overbet the river
Old 10-29-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misread my hand. I had JT and was just making a move.

[/ QUOTE ]

nah you made a move to set you up to make a move and then you didnt make your move.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes you have to bet this flop here for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason I thought that if I checked the flop and then bet the turn and river then I could get him to fold AQ or worse. Seems like a lot of people would play AK this way. Could also be a bluff of course, but he does not know me as a bluffer (we have only been at the table together a short time).

On the other hand, just betting out on the flop is more threatening because of the potential for more betting. I can see how that should be the default and checking the occasional exception. I will check the smaller stakes forums to see what kind of math has been worked out here. Seems like a pretty common spot and I probably shouldn't have wasted peoples' time here.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you did decide to ch flop and bet turn like you did, you should overbet the river

[/ QUOTE ]

agree, he is prob gonna call a normal size bet
Old 10-29-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yessir