Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 05:52 AM

Default Two firefox questions

I've used Firefox for over a year and still haven'tfigured two things out:

-How to I export/transfer my favorites from one computer to another?

-How do I change the start page?

I appreciate the help. Thanks on beforehand!
Old 05-29-2007, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Two firefox questions

To export bookmarks, Bookmarks->Organize Bookmarks then File->Export.
To change the start page Tools->Options->Main and enter the page you want to use, or just click "use current".
Old 05-29-2007, 08:52 AM

Check out the Firefox Bookmarks Synchonizer. It's an extension that keeps your multiple instances of firefox (e.g. laptop + desktop) synced.
-Sam
Old 05-29-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check out the Firefox Bookmarks Synchonizer. It's an extension that keeps your multiple instances of firefox (e.g. laptop + desktop) synced.
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good solution. I'll try another good solution and go for portable apps from now on. I'm also formatting my computers and saving them with "ghost". Mmmm, everything will be so clean and good.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've used Firefox for over a year and still haven'tfigured two things out:

-How to I export/transfer my favorites from one computer to another?

-How do I change the start page?

I appreciate the help. Thanks on beforehand!

[/ QUOTE ]

Another solution (and the one I prefer) is to use an online store for your bookmarks. I've used a number of them, but the one I'm currently using and am happy with is Google Bookmarks. You need to sign up for a Google account if you don't already have one (free, of course). Once you have an account, and are signed in, just go to http://www.google.com/bookmarks

You can do all your bookmark saving, organizing and searching from that page or if it is your personal machine you can install a Firefox extension called GMarks that integrates beautifully with Google Bookmarks. You can get the extension at: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2888 and you can see all the features of the extension at their Google http://groups.google.com/group/GMarks/web/features

The biggest advantages of using this vs keeping "synched" copies of bookmarks is: bookmarks are always in sync because you only have one copy and they are kept online, you have access to them from any computer connected to the internet, when you search your bookmarks the actual pages are searched rather than just the titles. Sure it takes a little extra time to save each bookmark, but the advantages far outweigh the small time increase.

BTW you can use the GMarks extension to copy your current bookmars stored in FF to your Google Bookmarks account (and vice versa).

The only other thing about the Google Bookmarks service is that all your bookmarks are private, meaning you can't share them with friends, etc. If you want to share, check out del.icio.us or www.diigo.com or www.simpy.com