Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 07:09 AM

Default 50NL: I get in a muddle trying to control pot

Villain 65/7. He's on a huge heater, but may very well be the worst player I've come across at 50NL.

Flop: I raise for value against TP type hands, but don't want to bet so much that I chase him out.

Turn: Suddenly, the pot is huge, I have 1 pair, and I get cold feel about pot committing. This guy loves c/r too so that was in my mind.

River: Meh, so he had AJ or conceivably KQ, TJ, Ax. Whatever, I'm beat.

What I cannot work out is raising the flop and then NOT betting turn. That just seems wrong. And yet, pot committing myself with 1p also seems wrong: I'd need to have bet half my stack on turn. Should I just have done that against this donk? Or did he hit a 3 outer and I just got a bit unlucky?

Thanks.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP ($4.91)
<font color="#C00000">CO ($66.03)</font>
Hero ($69)
SB ($37.60)
BB ($59.65)
UTG ($50)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $2.50, MP folds, CO calls $2.50.

Flop: ($9.75) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $4.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, BB folds, CO calls $7.50.

Turn: ($33.75) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, Hero checks.

River: ($33.75) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets $46.5</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $80.25
Old 06-06-2007, 07:31 AM

Default Re: 50NL: I get in a muddle trying to control pot

Bet more on the flop ($20-$22). Shove that turn.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:33 AM

yeah, if you think you're ahead and you're worried about 6 outs then raise flop bet turn. it's not a mega-fat valuebet, but i reckon it's plus EV. you could certainly control the pot and induce bluffs as long as you are willing to sweat those 6 outs by calling F and T. you'd still fold to an ace though.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, if you think you're ahead and you're worried about 6 outs then raise flop bet turn. it's not a mega-fat valuebet, but i reckon it's plus EV. you could certainly control the pot and induce bluffs as long as you are willing to sweat those 6 outs by calling F and T. you'd still fold to an ace though.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you saying that both lines are ok: being more aggressive on flop/turn to win the pot, or alternatively, being willing to sweat on the 6 outs in order to control pot/induce bluffs if one of those 6 outs doesn't come?
Old 06-06-2007, 08:09 AM

I would play it one of two ways depending on the villain. If I was willing to felt it against this villain then I would raise the flop and bet turn. If I didn't want to felt then I would call the flop and take it from there. I don't really like checking the turn behind all that much after raising the flop though.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:13 AM

i bet turn for value... having a huge pot with 1pair is fine so long as you're ahead of his range.. which you def are. river sucks i'd prolly fold. But im happy commiting myself on the turn
Old 06-06-2007, 08:13 AM

You definitely should raise the flop bigger. 20-22 is much closer to a pot-sized raise. also, definitely shove turn if you trust your read. word.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So are you saying that both lines are ok: being more aggressive on flop/turn to win the pot, or alternatively, being willing to sweat on the 6 outs in order to control pot/induce bluffs if one of those 6 outs doesn't come?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. one or the other is obviously more +EV, but it depends on your reads, your confidence in it and your interest in variance.