Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Rising through the stakes, TL DR.

Hola 2p2ers.

Let me set this thread off with a fore note, i am highly intoxicated and probably vastly over rate the success of the past week.

Let me take you back to the beginning of my career, may 2007. For the first time in my life, i was going to put a REAL 20$ online on stars to try this mysterious online poker that apparently could make moneys. I put my 20$ in, and INSTANTLY lost it playing 25$ NL BR management FTW.

I continued to lose another couple of 20's, and at this point i began to wonder what was going on. I saw the WSOP on TV, and it was so easy! Just flop the best hand and get the money in... Money! But wtf i wasn't Chris moneymaker. i lost money.

Scared, depressed, and almost crying i turned to donkaments.
Sadly, they paid off. Basically it managed to make me a 200$ bankroll, so of course i played some 50$ NL (good bankroll management). I will never forget this hand ever, period. I had TT, and called a raise pf between the pf raiser and the cold caller. Flop QT5. I was on ecstasy, here we go riches and glory. Raiser puts out 20$ bet, limper cold calls, i shove. Original raiser INSTAcalls, and limper folds. River the 2 of diamonds, river the ace of clubs. he shows AA, for the heart piercing set on the river.

At this point, i was absolutely numb. Really numb is the only word i can put for how i felt. But at THAT point, 350$ in the hole, i realized, it was time for a change. I needed to make money, and i needed consistency. I didn't want any of that pussy 6 max [censored], so my fr journey began, with roughly 150ish$ in my PS account.

25k hands at nl .01/.02 cent later, i had about 350$. Feeling good, i moved up to 5 nl and 10 nl. Both got me to about 500, so i moved up to 25 nl. This is about mid june now. About to go to Europe, i decided i was so ballah id withdraw my roll and use it for moneys. bad decision.

So after 2 months in Europe and san jose, i sat back down, and redeposited 200$. I lost 6 buyins at 10 nl. At this point, i was petrified. I felt it was over, i would have to move back to 1/2 cent. At this point i was talking to ThePokerKing/Mlane, and they convinced me to continue 10 nl. So i did, and over the next month i worked up to 500$ for 25 nl.

Now i felt so good. 500$ in my roll, i was about to rape 25 nl. I bought PAHUD, and was ready to roll. But at this point, i really started talking to Kappa Sigma on my campus, as most of the people from my HS went into. I went through every step, did everything i could, and was declined a bid. Why was i declined a bid? Because i knocked over the [censored] presidents dip cup and even though i offered to clean it up, he said he would never want me in the frat because of it.

So now, my other 2 friends from HS at my University (UNCW) were in the frat. I had no gf, no money, nothing. I was devastated. On that day, Sept 17th, i vowed i would make as much money in online poker as i could. I would move up through every [censored] rank, and show them. I would [censored] show the world, i was not a [censored] up. I went to a crappy ass school even with a 3.9 gpa/1270 (old sat), and i got declined from my real hope of a social life. I would [censored] show them all, I had my dream in front of me.

So i sat in front of Pokertracker and said, ok [censored] this i need money to win. I have to show myself, i can do it, i can win.

Every day i played at least 5k hands. I made every best decision i could, any fold i could, any possible value i could. Why>? I had to show them they [censored] up, I am a brilliant man and [censored] them all. I had to do it, to show myself.

So i played the 5k hands a day and studied. I posted hands, i was determined. I hit 1000 and moved up. NL 50 gave me trouble, but i kept rebuilding and taking shots.

Finally, about a week ago, I was about to clear my bonus and had 1200 in my account. I basically said, This is it, ive run 500$ bad in equity @ nl 50, i am going to clear this bonus and play 100 nl. So i rand good at 50, cleared the bonus, and took a shot.

And it worked. But the wierd thing was, as i saw the play in 100 i COMPLETELY changed my game, because i felt it was the most profitable. I had to win, it was the only possible outcome. And i did win, i won a lot. In 4 days i was rolled for nl 200, so i took a shot. And it worked. So here i am, at a 6k bankroll, drunk, [censored] insanely happy, and delirious.

But i will tell you waht i do know, i am going to make it. I might be nl 200 for 4 days, 4 weeks, or 4 months. But I will make it, because i [censored] have to prove i can. Its personal, I need to show i have what it takes. Im sick on bailing on [censored] when im solid, but not great. But dear, god i will make it. To show them all.

So here I am. I made 4.5k this week, and am making money i never thought possible. But no its not over. Also, i finally got a pretty good looking gf. But there is much to learn, much to win. But the thing is, no one can stop me. You all have no chance against me.

The only person who can stop me, is myself.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:04 AM

Default Re: Rising through the stakes, TL DR.

GL...if you still have that motivation and stay grounded I am sure you will make it, what ever "it" is for you.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:06 AM

YOU ARE SICK! Seriously! Keep going [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2007, 02:08 AM

For a drunk, you still write pretty well. Good luck with moving up! Watch out for variance, and make sure you practice good bankroll mgmt with your winnings. I'd hate to see you back at 100NL. I have to play there!
Old 10-13-2007, 02:25 AM

Where's the part where you grimmed that dude out of the money he won from you in coin flips?
Old 10-13-2007, 04:55 AM

Raging insecurity FTW? Good luck "showing" everybody (what exactly are you going to do? go back to the frat and show them how big your PS bankroll is?).

I do hope that you have better emotional control then your post seems to indicate, moving up that fast can lead to situations where youre losing more in on session then you used to make in a month. Hope youre able to cope with that well.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:05 AM

If i have a downswing i will move down. But I will play the best poker i possibly can.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The only person who can stop me, is myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you channelling Helmuth?
Old 10-13-2007, 05:30 AM

It'd be fun for any nl200 regs to post HH's when they're mixing it up with WCG

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2007, 09:38 AM

Big runups, oh what a beautiful thing. Make big hands, get paid off, play more aggressively, get paid off on more big hands. Oh the glory, the delight. I've been on a similar trajectory this year and have had 1 or 2 runups in the 2k+ range. There is really no better feeling.

When you sober up, you might want to go out and buy yourself a helmet, buckle the chinstrap and hold on. My experience has been that 3K runups are followed by 1K+ downswings and maybe followed by a sustained break even stretch even though you are probably playing good poker, maybe even the best poker of your life.

But for now, enjoy it. Play the bigger limit. Take a shot at a bigger game once in a while too if your bankroll can afford it, even if means dropping a buy-in or 2 at 2-4. Nothing makes you play better than playing in harder games.