Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Card on the floor...what should be the Rule?

Bay101, San Jose:
If a player drops a card from his hand on the floor,
a) if the player picks the card up, the hand is dead
b) if a Floorperson picks the card up, the hand is live

Now, I am used to the rule where the hand is dead, period, if the player drops a card on the floor.
The Bay101 rule seems to be in the "if the hand is retrievable, it is live" spirit.
I sort of like it. As long as it is applied consistently.

Comments?

Should a 'physical mistake' cost a player the pot?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Card on the floor...what should be the Rule?

Many places ask that you keep your cards on the table for this reason. Once the card goes out of sight of the dealer things can happen. Another problem is other players in the hand might see it while others can't.

It's also kind of hard to drop a card off the table yourself. Really, how hard is it to keep it on the table?

I watched a guy spike his hand trying to table it defiantly and one card caught an edge and cartwheeled off the table. Ruled it dead and his set of Ks lost to a set of Qs. Guy was just a titch steamed. Course he did learn a lesson on how not to table a hand.

b
Old 08-07-2007, 02:36 PM

From Bob's rules:

[ QUOTE ]
14. If you drop a card on the floor out of your hand, you must still play that card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence, your hand is live, not dead.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From Bob's rules:

[ QUOTE ]
14. If you drop a card on the floor out of your hand, you must still play that card.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny how people quote Bob and insist that the quote apply.
Most rooms have THEIR OWN set of rules.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:25 PM

Totally depends on the room, yes.

I played in a game once where the dealer was enforcing the "cards that go out of my sight are dead" rule religiously. There was a youngster at the table using home-game-learned techniques to look at his cards--he'd pick 'em up and slide 'em off the table into his lap and look straight down at them. Only the dealer could no longer see the cards when he did this. So first time, dealer said "WoaWoaWoa, no buddy! That hand is dead! Gimme the cards... just hand me the cards" and he explained why. The very next hand, we do it all over again. Next hand the kid struggles a little and awkwardly tries to protect the cards while he looks at them. Next hand he forgets and puts 'em below the table again...dead hand. He manages to keep 'em in sight for 10 hands, or so, then slips back into old habits and "Dead Hand!" Thankfully he busted outta this tournament a few hands later.

How SHOULD it work? I dunno. I go back and forth. I dislike the idea that someone could palm a card (or bring one in) and arrange to drop THAT card on the floor while palming a card from his hand. Cards that go outta sight are highly suspect--when the dealer can't see 'em and the cameras can't see 'em there's no way to be sure you're getting back the right card. But I also don't much like the idea that someone could lose a $500K pot because he was nervous and fumbled his cards and dropped one.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:39 PM

Whoever obtains possession of the card first should get to play it.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So why is this thread here then if everyone goes by their own rules? I'm posting a quote that I believe in, hich, is answering the OP's question of "any thoughts?". So why do you have such a problem with this? If all rooms have their own rules, then this thread would end right now anyways and no one would be posting their thoughts on the situation because it wouldn't matter since the rooms have their own rules. DUCY

Please come back when you actually have something to add to the thread instead of attacking someone who has posted something they believe to be the way it should be.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
From Bob's rules:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually most rooms that have written rules have copied from some version of Bob's (he was involved in the writing the Hilton rules which is the origin of most rules that are in use today).
Old 08-10-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So why is this thread here then if everyone goes by their own rules? I'm posting a quote that I believe in, hich, is answering the OP's question of "any thoughts?". So why do you have such a problem with this? If all rooms have their own rules, then this thread would end right now anyways and no one would be posting their thoughts on the situation because it wouldn't matter since the rooms have their own rules. DUCY

Please come back when you actually have something to add to the thread instead of attacking someone who has posted something they believe to be the way it should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

The tone of your post did not imply "This is my opinion", And i didnt infer such because the OP asked for "comments" not "any thoughts"
Old 08-10-2007, 05:27 PM

true