Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 12:13 PM

Default staking players?

I have a friend that is looking to get staked. He didnt ask me but i just heard it in passing. he is looking for 2k to play 1-2 nl live. he said hed give whoever did it, half of his winnings. How does this work. If they lose it all your beat, but other wise you get half the winnings, and for how long??
Old 03-07-2007, 12:22 PM

Default Re: staking players?

In a staking agreement what normally happens is if the horse wins they split the profits according to some agreed percentage. If the horse loses the staker absorbs the loss. The time perios is usually determined ahead of time, but the staker typically has the right to terminate the agreement at any time, and take whatever is left of his stake then & there.

BTW if your friend is looking for a 2k stake to plan 200NL live, he is already making a fundamental mistake...
Old 03-07-2007, 01:43 PM

If he's a good friend, don't stake him. If he's just someone you know and there's no friendship between you two, then proceed carefully.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:53 PM

hes a friend but not a close one, and i do trust him. idk , this staking business sounds like a lossing prop. Not worth the trouble. thanks
Old 03-07-2007, 07:34 PM

Personally, I'd only stake people I really trust, and have known for an extensive period of time. This is less than five people.

The arrangement would be I take the losses, while taking 1/2 the wins. It's a 17% return on your investment, which is pretty good as far as investments go. However I would never do it in your situation.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:40 AM

I would not do this except with dear friends. If they blow, 2000, they owe you half and should pay rather soon. Some stake horses never pay back their backers including some famous ones. If would be best if you put in with them, meaning they put up 500 and you put up 500 and you split. You stay partners until either declares they want to cut out. I would only stake someone in a tourney where you know the results or if I was there. I used to play a lot of stake money and I never cheated a partner but that is not to be counted on.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:33 PM

A good friend is less likely to pay you back than someone who is not a good friend. It's just like the whole theory that you're more likely to let someone borrow a thousand dollars and get it back compared to letting them borrow a 100 dollars and probably never getting it back.

A good friend will think since you are good friends that you'll let it slide this time.

And plus, if you aren't good friends with your stake horse, then you and your good friends will have no problem "asking" for your slice of the pie.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:33 PM

I just realized I used 'good friends' way too many times in that last post. GG me.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:46 PM

A true Texan can't use the words good friends enough. I won't stake anyone except my long-term partners. Then I do not have to be there to watch. However, I won't loan or stake and I would generally advise against it. Me and my banker cut a deal. He promised not to play hold 'em and I promised not to loan money or cash checks. arod 18 is right, if you loan money to a friend, you lose your friend and your money. What is far better is trading pieces with a friend. Say you are in a tourney or a trip together, take 20-25% of each other's play as an insurance and a friendship prop. This is great in tourneys because you can cheer for your pal.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:11 PM

heres how most of these turn out.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post9576171