Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Choose what best describes your views on loaning money?
I was fooled by Air Americas hype of their success. 2 6.25%
I knew these guys were losers from day 1. 30 93.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2007, 11:34 PM

Default Re: PokerTracker: The Next Generation (NEW SOFTWARE DISCUSSION)

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm my mail empty, can i have PT3 to try ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Alpha testing has not yet begun. We are hoping to get started by the end of the month.

Best regards,

APerfect10
Old 11-22-2007, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Late to the party with this suggestion but I really, really hope this version of Pokertracker does NOT attempt to connect to the Internet every single time it's opened the way PAHUD does.

[/ QUOTE ]

PokerAce Hud only connects to the Internet every time you launch if you have it set to check for updates (much like PT). It does connect to the registration server every couple of days and this will be the same for PokerTracker 3; although the entire registration system will be designed a little better, much more efficient with less false positives and an automated system to unflag your account.

I wish there was a better way to do this but we have not been able to determine one...

Best regards,

APerfect10
Old 11-23-2007, 03:02 AM

I don't understand why you say this considering Pat and Mike were able to make Pokertracker work all these years without needing to connect to a registration server every three days.

There is a lot of software out there that I refuse to use because they operate in this manner. PAHUD was the exception, maybe the only exception in my case. We don't like to be put in a position of wondering if any sensitive information is being transmitted. I know I'm not alone in thinking this way.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...;gonew=1#UNREAD
Old 11-23-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why you say this considering Pat and Mike were able to make Pokertracker work all these years without needing to connect to a registration server every three days.

There is a lot of software out there that I refuse to use because they operate in this manner. PAHUD was the exception, maybe the only exception in my case. We don't like to be put in a position of wondering if any sensitive information is being transmitted. I know I'm not alone in thinking this way.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...;gonew=1#UNREAD

[/ QUOTE ]

PokerTracker and PokerAce Hud are relatively small in the scheme of software companies and the software you purchase therefore we need to put in some type of prevention to:

1. Stop accidental installations on more computers than allowed with one registration code
2. Prevent blatant theft

Without some type of system we would be losing A LOT of money which a small company such as ours cannot afford to take.

PokerTracker currently gets around this by creating a unique product id for each installation of their software. In the end this is a real pain for the end-user who must obtain a new registration code for each installation.

PokerAce Hud gets around this by allowing your registration code to be good on any computer; however, it needs to automatically check against the registration server to ensure that the installations are within your limits.

We feel that the PAHud method is much more user friendly and is also less of a burden on our support. The downside (in some people's eyes such as yours) is that the software needs to connect to the registration server every couple of days.

I can assure you that no sensitive data is transmitted. The only information sent to the registration server is your registration code and a unique identifier which uses very strong encryption. We have been around long enough and feel that our reputation clearly proves that we are and would not transmit sensitive information. If we were, I think you would have heard of troubles/issues well before now.

I apologize if you and a few others are not comfortable with this method; however, in the grand scheme of things we feel this is the best method not only for you but also for us. No sensitive data is transmitted and we feel that we have earned our users trust over the many years that they should not need to worry about this.

Best regards,

APerfect10
Old 11-23-2007, 11:21 AM

And BTW, to those who have a problem with the protection scheme outlined above, ALL the sites read your HD and transmit back to the homesite. How do you think the catch people using the banned software and visiting the banned websites?

If you have a problem with this, use a dedicated poker machine.

My 2 cents,

Tuff
Old 11-23-2007, 12:00 PM

br tuff_fish, if you have no clue what youre talking about, you better shut up.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PokerTracker currently gets around this by creating a unique product id for each installation of their software. In the end this is a real pain for the end-user who must obtain a new registration code for each installation.

[/ QUOTE ]

This I can live with.

[ QUOTE ]
PokerAce Hud gets around this by allowing your registration code to be good on any computer; however, it needs to automatically check against the registration server to ensure that the installations are within your limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

This I lived with only because I had no other choice. Now you have competition and all other things being equal I will easily choose the program that does not pose a potential security threat. You're only hurting yourselves by doing this.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This I lived with only because I had no other choice. Now you have competition and all other things being equal I will easily choose the program that does not pose a potential security threat. You're only hurting yourselves by doing this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain the potential security threat? I fail to see it unless if you feel PokerTracker and PokerAce Hud are a rogue company which is clearly not the case. We have far more to lose than could ever be gained.

We would never require our users to do anything if there was even the remote possibility of a breach in security. I am extremely protective of my computer and my personal information; however, I think you are reaching here.

Best regards,

APerfect10
Old 11-23-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
br tuff_fish, if you have no clue what youre talking about, you better shut up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Educate me great learned one.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Tuff
Old 11-23-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have a problem with this, use a dedicated poker machine.

[/ QUOTE ]
I do this. However this is a two way street. Another program could just as easily steal my passwords for the poker sites if run on the same computer. In the end I think Pat & Co are more worthy of my trust than many of the outfits that run poker sites, however this does not mean I'll blindly trust them if I don't have to.