Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 11:46 PM

Default Mountain Biking

I started Mt biking again on a consistent basis in May. I was 5'10", 185lbs at the time and kind of a couch potato. I started going to the work gym, but only did light workouts.

With just 1.5 rides a week, I'm at 177lbs now. Not too bad as I'm not really watching my diet too much. (I usually eat fairly healthy)

~8lbs in ~4 months or so... I'd like to get down to 170lbs even... I'd be able to keep up with some of the faster riders when going uphill.. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2007, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Mountain Biking

I find mountain biking to be very very good cardio...this obviously depends on the specific terrain you choose though.

I like it because the hill is a visual challenge that you can see yourself approaching. It is like an enemy that you are trying to beat, even though you are obviously just competing against yourself.

I go slow on the down hills though cause i get scared....waa.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I like it because the hill is a visual challenge that you can see yourself approaching. It is like an enemy that you are trying to beat, even though you are obviously just competing against yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

for me, there arent many feelings better in life than the zen like trance a real tough hill puts me in, and the feeling of conquering it once you crest

damn, just thinking about it makes me miss riding. Im gunna hafta start again
Old 09-17-2007, 08:40 AM

I initially look at a large uphill, but then just focus on the trial about 15 feet in front of me. It's easier to take it a couple of yards at a time and you don't realize how much ground you actually covered. (Some hills look almost impossible to climb)

I climb one hill yesterday that was 1200' vertical over 2 miles, it was a workout. It was also after biking for 3 hours...
Old 09-18-2007, 10:47 PM

Hils are a good measure of what your made of too. Pick a hill and try to increase the gear you climb in. Had one tough hill could not even climb in first. than i completed it in first. Best feeling completing it in second. Sad thing is Snow is in our forecast soon and summer daylight to 11 is now only 7 and dipping below zero at nights. Stairclimber going in front of the TV
Old 09-19-2007, 02:43 AM

mtn bikin is badass. i cant hang tho. im just a selfhating roadie now.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:32 AM

I love mountain biking, but it's so much easier to just jump on your bike and go for a road ride. Mountain biking takes up so much more time.

I envy ppl that can ride from their backyards.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hils are a good measure of what your made of too. Pick a hill and try to increase the gear you climb in. Had one tough hill could not even climb in first. than i completed it in first. Best feeling completing it in second. Sad thing is Snow is in our forecast soon and summer daylight to 11 is now only 7 and dipping below zero at nights. Stairclimber going in front of the TV

[/ QUOTE ]
You guys get daylight till eleven in edmonton? effing christ.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:10 AM

Well it starts in May and lasts till end of July. But soon it will be dark by 5 and snow on the ground. But summers suns up at 5 and goes down at 11 very nice indeed while it lasts