Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 02:41 AM

Default need some tournament help

Thanks in advance for any help

I have been able to do better at tourneys more and more and I enjoy them so I have been playing them recently. But, it seems so much recently I take an awful beat and get knocked down low. I battle back to usually close to average and again something like today where someone pulls a one outer on river (all in on turn) and I get knocked down to around none.

Now, I can still a decent amount of the time hold out and make the money...but not many top finishes. So, recently I have been little more aggressive after this starts to happen to try to make a run

I am looking for any advice though...maybe more aggressive early? take more risk? or more conservative even? or am I just unlucky (or suck)?
Old 06-21-2007, 04:30 AM

Default Re: need some tournament help

The only things I'll say are post hands where you think you're being too conservative or where you think you could be opening up your game some. Trying to just make the money is generally not the best way to play mtts.

As for the bad beats, its part of the game and they happen to everybody. welcome to the forums.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:21 AM

agreed get involved in posting and answering hands. remember to use a hand converter. read the anthology aswell.

observe the whole table, start with the 2 to your left and the 2 to your right as you'll need info for stealing and restealing later on

i am tight like a bitch in the first few rounds. waiting for premiums or seeing cheap flops trying to hit a monster.

as the blinds increase i start stealing, 75/150 on stars. usually start restealing 100/200/ante, 200/400/ante when you have sufficient reads on villain

increase aggression on the bubble, don't be afraid to get knocked out. play for first. im happy if i get knocked out playing for first when on the bubble. having a good bankroll helps with playing loose on the bubble

if you get a bad beat you should be happy as you made the right move. also helps to berate the player in the chatbox on how bad his play was etc etc... also remember the times you got lucky.

if you give a bad beat you should be dissapointed. if you double up from a nice river card, the adrenaline will be pumpin and you'll be giggling like a schoolgirl. don't, you're play prob sucked and you got lucky.

this works for me.

good luck
Old 06-21-2007, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[...]also helps to berate the player in the chatbox on how bad his play was etc etc.[...]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an especially bad idea! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2007, 07:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[...]also helps to berate the player in the chatbox on how bad his play was etc etc.[...]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, only because it may make villain a better player when you berate him on how much of a donk/[censored] he is (this isn't to say I don't do it sometimes haha).

but yeah, post tough hands AND give your thoughts on other peoples' posted hands, as well. and remember when you post - use a hand converter and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give reads/images on table - it makes giving feedback 102893723897x easier. gl sir
Old 06-21-2007, 07:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, only because it may make villain a better player when you berate him on how much of a donk/[censored] he is (this isn't to say I don't do it sometimes haha).

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't true. You analysing someone else's play gives them, and everyone else at the table a much better understanding of the level you are thinking at.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't true. You analysing someone else's play gives them, and everyone else at the table a much better understanding of the level you are thinking at.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll do it sometimes if I think it will put them on tilt [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

And I'll do it like a real internet fish (quoting wildly stupid percentages, making ridiculous statements with absolute certainty, etc. etc.!) If anyting, it's great fun. But mostly I'm very polite and friendly. Really!
Old 06-21-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really both can be true depending on your opponents.

For the fish who doesn't understand why calling your pot sized all-in bet on the turn with nothing but a flush draw (which, of course, he hits) berating him has the potential to educate him. Even if he's not motivated enough to figure out why you think it was bad (how bad could it be if I won the pot?) eventually he'll figure it out if he wants to get better. It might take tens or hundreds of times getting berated for this same thing, but why should you help the process along. (Not that I don't sometimes do this myself).

Educating the fish IS the reason most people give for not doing this, and it is a valid reason. However this poster brings up another reason that doesn't normally get enough attention. For example a comment like "you called my raise with that" tells your thinking opponents something about your calling hand ranges in a raised pot. Or suppose you're on the other side and being berated in chat as the "fish." Suppose you shoved all-in over a flop raise with a draw where you knew you were behind, but were reasonably sure you had at least 12 and probably 15-18 outs. In the past I'd justify my play if I was being berated. After all, you were actually a significant favorite to hit with 18 outs. But justifying or explaining this play has both the potential to educate the fish and tell the thinking players at the table a lot about your game. Don't do it.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:29 AM

i dont think anyone got the sarcasm in my comment
Old 06-21-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont think anyone got the sarcasm in my comment

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Fair enough. We see enough serious comments like this around here that it isn't always apparent. Or possibly my sarcasm detector is broken.