Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-07-2007, 09:01 PM

Default *OFFICIAL* Phillies NL EAST CHAMPS offseason thread!

Whatever happened in the postseason, gotta say great season and great finish. They even replayed that game against the mets at the end of the four-game sweep and I watched the whole thing. Easily the best game of the year imo..

Anyway, so whats next for the phils? There have been a few minor transactions, Nunez and barajas were cut (barajas is gay)

As far as offseasons go, the phillies are never the best team to watch. However, this looks to be one of the best offseasons in a while.

Here are the things pat gillick could do that would give me a little chub:

trade for miguel cabrera or D-TRAIN (this would make me very happy)
sign mike lowell, mo rivera, a-rod (lol), re-sign aaron rowand, sign/trade for chad cordero

I am sure there other good players out there but this is just off the top of my head.

Regardless, the phils obv need to get stronger at 3rd base. If we did that, we'd have the sickest infield in baseball, easily. I'd like to sign a good reliever and hopefully move myers back to the rotation.

Also I read somewhere, the phils front office is ready to move the salary past the 100 million mark. Will be interesting to see what they do as lots of contracts are expiring or will be soon, and the payroll is only at 87 million right now.

anyway, I know im not the only philly homer here, discuss.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:17 PM

Default Re: *OFFICIAL* Phillies NL EAST CHAMPS offseason thread!

I expect the Phillies to do very little. Gillick has said that 3rd base is not close to a priority. He said if he makes a trade, it will be for pitching, if they sign a free agent, it will be for pitching. In other words, I have a very bad feeling about this.

Go after Brian Fuentes, get Lohse signed, lets go phillies.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I expect the Phillies to do very little. Gillick has said that 3rd base is not close to a priority. He said if he makes a trade, it will be for pitching, if they sign a free agent, it will be for pitching. In other words, I have a very bad feeling about this.

Go after Brian Fuentes, get Lohse signed, lets go phillies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard all offseason that they are looking to upgrade at third base. At least thats what they've said on Daily News Live. That comment surprises because why wouldnt they want to sign a third baseman? Rowand is most likely walking and who knows what kind of power burrel is going to produce. Our lineup could go from best in the NL to shtt next year if that happens... Regardless, I like fuentes and I would resing lohse, he has the potential i think to be a real solid 3rd or 4th guy.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard all offseason that they are looking to upgrade at third base.

[/ QUOTE ]
Gillick said 3B was not a priority at the start of the GM meetings. Of course it should be obvious we need pitching way more than 3B, however I think "not a priority" was more to let other GMs know we're not going to do anything silly to get one.

Anyway, I think there will be at least something going down this offseason. The club drew very well this year and the core of the team will be together for a few years so ownership should count on continuing to draw well. Which should mean loosening the purse strings a bit. 100 mil sounds about right, which given the money coming off the books gives us quite a bit to play with.

My game plan would be something along the lines of resigning Rowand (or another center fielder as there are a couple). Then use Victorino to trade for pitching help (imo he seems to be a bit overvalued). Using an outfield of Burrell/Bourn/Werth is acceptable but they better make a splash at 3B.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:41 PM

Phillies Get: Brad Lidge (RP) + Eric Bruntlett (SS/UTIL)
Astros Get: Michael Bourn (OF) + Geoff Geary (RP) + Mike Costanzo (? minor leaguer ?)
Old 11-07-2007, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Phillies Get: Brad Lidge (RP) + Eric Bruntlett (SS/UTIL)
Astros Get: Michael Bourn (OF) + Geoff Geary (RP) + Mike Costanzo (? minor leaguer ?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Costanzo is a 3rd baseman who can hit the absolute sh*t out of the ball.......but he strikes out like every other at bat.

He never progressed like the Phillies wanted.

If he ever fills to his potential, we could regret this move, but as of now its smart.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:55 PM

I guess I like the trade. Costanza was our top 3B prospect (AA). IIRC the knock on him was that he struck out too much.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I think there will be at least something going down this offseason

[/ QUOTE ]
Looks like I was right. Didn't expect anything so big so quick though.

AP is reporting Myers will be moved back to the rotation... NOOOO!!!!! They better sign a couple more good relievers.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:08 AM

How do people not like this trade? I am so ridiculously happy about this.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do people not like this trade? I am so ridiculously happy about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I was hoping that Constanzo could be our 3B of the future to complete our mythical infield (edit: I know this was unlikely at best). Also Bourn was a heck of a young player to give up (although we didn't need him and Victorino so one had to go), I actually would have preferred trading Victorino since he was probably overrated imho.

Anyway, yes this is a very good trade for us and moreover shows that the organization definitely feels that the time is NOW! as they're giving up young pieces for a shot to win immediately.