Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-06-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Bankroll Mgt & Multi-tabling

So depending on who you read, a winning cash games player needs 20-50 buy-ins to withstand normal variance and not go broke. How does multi-tabling affect your minimum bankroll. Lets say that you figure you need 20 buy-ins for your game / skill level, etc. How should I change that number if I suddenly want to take up 12 tabling?
Old 11-06-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Bankroll Mgt & Multi-tabling

As long as you are still a winning player 12-tabling, it doesn't affect your bankroll guidelines.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As long as you are still a winning player 12-tabling, it doesn't affect your bankroll guidelines.

[/ QUOTE ]

depends.

if you play a high variance game and you tend to tilt then I suggest having a bigger than usual roll for 12 tabling.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:59 PM

Generally people play tighter when multitabling so it's fine
Old 11-06-2007, 03:07 PM

I usually 4 table and it evens out. I have bad runs at one or two tables and good runs on the other 2. it would be nice to have good runs at all 4 for once.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:38 PM

Interesting. I always assumed that the bankroll guidelines were for live or single table poker. So extreme example...you have 20 buy-ins and you are 20 tabling. Your whole roll is in play. Winning player, not tilting, blah, blah, blah.

Everyone is okay with this? Just curious?
Old 11-06-2007, 03:48 PM

Most winning players will lower their PTBB/100 while multitabling, however, they are getting in many more hands and make more money in a short period of time because of this.

You need to analyze the difference in your PTBB/100 when multitabling and when you're not. The amount you increase your bankroll for multitabling should be directly related to how much your win rate is lowered due to multitabling.

Something else worth mentioning, if multitabling is causing a significant drop in your win rate make sure that you are easing in to it and working up tables as you feel comfortable with them.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:54 PM

^ ^ great post. Variance is a function of winrate, not of how tight you play, not of 'high variance style', etc. Playing 12 tables will result in a lower PTBB/100 than playing 1 or 2 tables, guaranteed. Lower winrate = more variance.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most winning players will lower their PTBB/100 while multitabling, however, they are getting in many more hands and make more money in a short period of time because of this.

You need to analyze the difference in your PTBB/100 when multitabling and when you're not. The amount you increase your bankroll for multitabling should be directly related to how much your win rate is lowered due to multitabling.

Something else worth mentioning, if multitabling is causing a significant drop in your win rate make sure that you are easing in to it and working up tables as you feel comfortable with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, so that makes more intuitive sense to me. So any advice on how I adjust my bankroll requirements. Is it as simple as 25% drop in win rate = 25% increase in bank roll required? Also, how big of a sample size would you like to have ideally before you trust your win rate stat?

BTW - I'm not really thinking of 12 tabling. Anything over about 4 tables and I get very stupid, very quickly!
Old 11-06-2007, 04:24 PM

From what I understand, you should increase your BR requirements inversely.

For example, the general consensus for BR is to have 20 buy-ins. Let's say your normal win rate is 6BB/hr when you're single tabling. When you switch to Multitabling you now run at 4BB/hr and are now 4/6ths or 2/3rds of your normal win rate. Now, apply that inversely to your 20 buy-in rule..

3/2 x 20 = 30 buy ins.

As far as finding your actual win rate, here is an excellent post that talks about this.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=8#Post12784921