Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which avatar to use...
They both suck get a new one 11 44.00%
South Park 10 40.00%
Eric Molina 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Cigar Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raze,

All you need is to stick them in a Tupperware container with a damp sponge. They will keep just fine as long as the sponge is damp and NOT touching the cigars. Open the container at least once a week to check the sponge and let a little air flow.

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa whoa, make damn sure if anyone does this they used distilled water, mold/bacteria can/will form on a wet sponge and distilled water greatly (maybe eliminates iirc?) reduces the chance of this happening. mold/bacteria on your sticks is not cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tex,

The distilled water is used in humidors to prevent mineral buildup & damage on the humidification element and on the cedar (if rubbing down the inside of the humidor). When you're using a sponge, tap water is fine. Long term, you're right mold may form on the sponge, but the tupperware/sponge humidor is only intended for short-term storage (<3 months).

[ QUOTE ]
anyone know about keeping sticks in a freezer? i was reccomended to do this for 24 hours with my cubans b/c they dont undergo the last process of freezing that apparently other cigars do to kill any potential threats, i.e., bugs in your sticks, but i never did it as i feel the swiss habanos dealer i go through wouldn't keep sticks that were possibly infected with bugs in their humidor that likely is worth seven figures....

[/ QUOTE ]

If you freeze sticks make sure you let them defrost VERY slowly. Transfer to the fridge first, and leave them there for a few days, before putting them back to the humidor. Frozen sticks need several weeks before they can be smoked. Search threads on freezing at clubstogie.com for better info.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:25 PM

new daily = oliva serie v ...monumental cigar, beautiful color, perfect draw, reminiscent of the old lars tetons pre embargo cubans. a lightly perfumed cigar w/ hints of pipe smoke, nutmeg/clove coffee and dark toast. its a "ligger" so it packs quite a punch, extremely complex powerhouse of a smoke.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
new daily = oliva serie v ...monumental cigar, beautiful color, perfect draw, reminiscent of the old lars tetons pre embargo cubans. a lightly perfumed cigar w/ hints of pipe smoke, nutmeg/clove coffee and dark toast. its a "ligger" so it packs quite a punch, extremely complex powerhouse of a smoke.

[/ QUOTE ]
my daily is the oliva serie g robusto. at around $4 a smoke, i feel like i cant beat it... i'll try the serie v soon.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just ordered some of the JR Alternative Hemingway Signature cigars. i'll be sure to give input when i receive them.

really looking to get some authentic cubans though. how do you think the best way to go about this is? aside from websites that sell boxes...

[/ QUOTE ]
the alternative hemingway signatures were surprisingly good. obviously not as good as the original, but good to say the least. they burned well and you cant really beat the price. i think they'll be much better after a few weeks in the humi though.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:33 PM

My cigar store that I am most loyal to just got some Monte series C. They're so amazing. I like bold cigars, but this one is mild/medium with a cameroon wrapper and it is great. I guess my cigar season just got started here in Tennessee since it has turned cold. Had a Padron 4000 maduro the past two days with a caramel machiato from starbucks. This is my favorite drink-cigar mixture of all time. Gotta love fall.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:11 PM

Padrons are awesome. I usually smoke the 3000. I think the regular series are the best bang for your buck in cigars today, and the Aniversarios are beyond belief.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Padrons are awesome. I usually smoke the 3000. I think the regular series are the best bang for your buck in cigars today, and the Aniversarios are beyond belief.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the padron 30 year anniversario lonsdale. Solid smoke.

I've had a chance to smoke some more habanos, and the cohiba robusto is by far my favorite stick. I've found a source for them at $10/stick so i'm pretty happy with that although I have to buy a box for that price. Smoked a monte petit corona last night and i give it good marks for the price. About to go drop off some mail and will smoke one of the Romeo and Juliet escudos (long robusto) regalas limited edition, looking forward to it. Last night I ordered a box of H. Upmann connasieur no.1 b/c I really liked the stick and got a really good deal at $200/box of 25, plus I had to fill an order for a friend. Along with that box is coming some Cohiba siglo VI's, a Cohiba Genios, and some monte cristo no. 2's i believe, the pyramides vitola, as well as a Cohiba Esplendidos (churchill). I'm really looking forward to the genios- I smoked the secretos and didnt really like it, it was too small and too tight to really enjoy the maduro, wheras the genios is 5.5 inches with a 52 guage. At this point in time though, the partagas petit corona is the best cuban for the dollar, and the cohiba robusto is imo the best robusto, w/ the h. upmann being a close second. Getting into cubans has been fun but expensive lately b/c I decided to buy some limited editions and a couple boxes that I'm putting away for (hopefully) a few years to let them age, which, I keep hearing is the thing to do.

Fwiw though, the punch rare corojo is still by far and away the best cigar for the price. I paid $185 for a box of 50 Rothschilds.

But man, I wish I could get Cohibas for the price they start out at in Cuba! I heard they're about $4 US/stick in Cuba, and that's likely a tourist price. So smooth, nutty, consistent, big draw, mild and mellow, awesome construction.

I think it's time to visit Havanna [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Tex
Old 11-14-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i recently moved from Indy to Cali and cannot get good cubans out here....does any know where i can get a box of Partagas #4 serie D? I only smoke stuff from Habana and im about to go crazy here.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Use the Internet? Check out some cigar forums and you will see common banners for the more reputable vendors....
Old 11-14-2007, 05:39 PM

IMHO there is a significant difference between the cheaper/knock off cigars and the premium lines, enough to tip the scale for me in terms of what I smoke/buy. Thats not to say there aren't good cheap(er) smokes out there, you just need to hunt for them. For example if I want a thin ring gauge sun grown wrapper without the cost I will go with the Flor de Ybor City no. 85 Sungrown from tampasweethearts.com Tampasweethearts is affiliated with the Fuente family and what you are getting is effectively the very elusive and desired 858 SG but rolled by an apprentice rather than a master roller. The wrapper is from slightly different stock than the Arturo Fuente 858 sungrown but it is still fantastic at two bucks a stick.

For a cheap maduro you can't beat the Padron thousand series which can often be found for ~$3 a stick if you look. You can also find the typically stronger/bolder La Flor Dominica lines for fairly inexpensive.

If you like the allure of island smokes and want something shorter you can get a box of Partagas shorts or Bolivar PC's for ~$5 a stick if you want something smaller.

As a point of reference I don't smoke as often as I used to so I tend to primarily smoke slightly more expensive sticks like the Padron Anniversary line, Opus X/Anejos, and brown label Tatuajes. I try to vary it up because there is so much out there to try but I really wouldn't bother smoking seconds/alts/bundle cigars at this point with the exception of those Flor de Ybors. Oh and I agree with TxRedman on the CoRo, easily my favorite habanos robusto.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i recently moved from Indy to Cali and cannot get good cubans out here....does any know where i can get a box of Partagas #4 serie D? I only smoke stuff from Habana and im about to go crazy here.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Use the Internet? Check out some cigar forums and you will see common banners for the more reputable vendors....

[/ QUOTE ]

if you want a box of partagas #4 i'll get one for you if you'll contact me and go over a couple of things. i smoked a #4 the other night and was really impressed, although it was a bit too strong for me to finish. i'd prefer to have that blend in either a petit corona or a petit robusto. but wow, the taste was amazing.

be careful buying habanos off the net guys, there's more fake dealers than real ones and it's not even close. i reccomend you know your sticks before you order, i.e., if you've smoked a cohiba genios you'll know right away whether or not your dealer shipped you a cohiba genios.

i smoked a R&J escudos robusto limited edition last night, and while i though the cigar was a little bit young, it was still phenomenal. strong vanilla/cocoa taste, smooth, nice stick, strong, but burned like a cigar that needs to age for at least a couple more months before smoking, which isn't that outrageous since it probably was rolled within the last two months.

i ordered some cohiba siglo's VI, the canonanzo <sp> vitole, which is a 53 guage and 6 inch length stick. after they settle for a week or two i'll burn one and post a review, but at first glance it appears to be an awesome stick.

i've smoked several H. Upmann connasieurs now, and it's a great stick for the price. i prefer upmanns for the fact that they're generally light to medium and therefore i finish a stick w/o any nasty buzz.

i'm about to take the dog for a nice long walk and plan on smoking either a monte cristo #2, the pyramides/torpedo, or the cohiba churchill that arrived today. i know i've said it before but i'll say it again, the punch rare corojo continues to impress me and seems to get better everyday.

if anyones thinking about buying any cubans lately, i'd reccomend not spending the extra money on many of the habanos limited editions that came out recently. with the exception of the R&J escudos which you should buy now to smoke next summer, and maybe the 2003 monte cristo, the others haven't been worth the extra price imo, but then again i think these sticks are meant to age for a while before being smoked, which is what i've done with the remaining 4 from my 5 packs.

i have one cohiba robusto left and it's really hard not to burn it every time i reach into my humidor. same goes for my cohiba lanceros. while i'm on the topic of cohiba, the pyramides is not worth $30/stick!!! dont waste your money! it's a $15 stick! nothing wrong with it, but wtf!

i've been smoking a couple of the hoyo epicures lately and was a little dissapointed b/c i thought they would be like a larger version of the hoyo petit robusto, but the petit robusto is by far a superior blend imo, and a great stick for a 30 minute smoke.

does anyone else have problems keeping the humidity constant at every spot in your humidor? i.e., 65 up top and 59 in the bottom corner? i think the cedar dividers and trays make a huge difference, so i took mine out and have put two small elements in my large humidor that holds about 100 sticks in additon to the large element up top. i plan on rotating the sticks about once a month to combat this problem.

i wish i could get my hands on a davidoff element, but apparently they only come with davidoff humidors, which, are usually about $1K. apparently it's a perfect element that absorbs and releases and stays at a constant 70 percent humidity and requires less maintenance. i heard it's similar to some sort of stone, anyone ever seen one?

-Tex