Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 12:10 AM

Default Re: 2007 Pac 10 football thread

I'm not sure I am overreacting to UCLA, except possibly for having them below Arizona. They are last in the conference in scoring offense and 9th in scoring defense after playing Stanford, BYU, and Utah (with their backup QB). UCLA can't possibly be higher than 8th right now, are you going to put them ahead of OSU who beat Utah 24-7? Ahead of WSU who's only loss is to a top 10 team? (Granted a team that *shouldn't* be top ten... but even so... Ahead of Washington? They lost to OSU by less than UCLA lost.

My deciding factor for putting UCLA ninth and Arizona eigth, when both have had terrible results so far is that Arizona is #1 in the conference in passing offense, while Ben Olson just had ANOTHER 50% completion percentage game, and this time he threw three interceptions.

I really wish I hadn't lost my writeups [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2007, 07:21 PM

Since this week is the first with a full blown conference schedule, I thought I'd bump this thread to get some discussion going.

The games:

(1-2) Arizona at (3-0) #6 Califormia -16

(2-1 Oregon State at (3-0) Arizona State -12

(2-1) Washington at (2-1) UCLA -6.5

(2-1) Washington State at (2-0) #1 USC -24.5

(3-0) #13 Oregon at (1-1) Stanford +16.5

How do the Beavers fare again their old head coach?

How does UCLA recover at home against a challenging UW team? Is this the best game of the week in the Pac-10?

Do the Ducks or Bears let down against sub-standard opponents before next week's big game?

Do the Cougs stand a chance to keep it with three TDs?
Old 09-18-2007, 07:26 PM

Given how WSU's dbs played against Idaho, I would be shocked if we lose by less than 30.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:11 PM

On the BCS at-large berths, one thing to remember is that this year, it's going to be a matter of which two conferences don't get one, rather than which do. Notre Dame's got no shot at an at-large this season, and the mid-majors are all looking bad enough thus far that it's going to be very hard for them to take one either.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:45 PM

on those lines.... Oregon, OSU, Wash, WSU, and Cal. Winners: UCLA, USC, CAL, OSU, Oregon.

UCLA-UW IS the game of the week.

Oregon and Cal will blow out thier opponents.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:48 PM

(1-2) Arizona at (3-0) #6 Califormia -16

Cal easily. Arizona just plain sucks.

(2-1 Oregon State at (3-0) Arizona State -12

AZ st. Oregon St has some QB issues so Bernard will be seeing alot of rush defense until Canfield can complete a ball with any confidence. Bernard will be seeing alot of stacked lines against him.

(2-1) Washington at (2-1) UCLA -6.5

This one's up in the air. Tough road game. UCLA was overranked, I still think they're a bit above the Huskies. Though the gap is closing.

I agree this is the Pac10 game of the week.

(2-1) Washington State at (2-0) #1 USC -24.5

Bloodbath. Can WSU's offense keep up? Probably not.

(3-0) #13 Oregon at (1-1) Stanford +16.5

Not convinced about Stanford for anything. I think Michigan is better than what they did the 1st 2 games. I think Michigan would crush Stanford. Oregon should beat the hell out of Stanford.

b
Old 09-19-2007, 12:38 AM

Oregon has a tendency to start the season good then let down as soon as they gain respect. That may be this week, or they may wait until after they beat Cal to fall apart. If it's the latter they cover easily :P

Arizona has way too weak of an offense to keep up with Cal, and Cal should dominate.

I still think Oregon State is terrible, but I'm not sure about ASU yet. They look pretty good but have played absolutely noone. This spread is basically asking if they are legit, but the one upside OSU has is a great front seven and the ability to put a lot of pressure on quarterbacks, and historically Carpenter hasn't handled pressure well.

UCLA was ripe for an upset, though I didn't think they would let it happen against UTAH. Olson has been awful so far this year though, and the defense hasn't been anything to write home about either. They certainly aren't actually 44-6 bad, but I'm not convinced they'll be the better team on the field. On the other hand, Syracuse is quickly proving that what Washington did to them doesn't mean anything, and Locker finally showed against Ohio State that he is, in fact, a Freshman. I'm not sure what will happen, though I think I'd take UDub against the spread, but I am very interested to watch it and learn a lot more about both teams.

USC -24.5 is probably about the right spread for the WSU game, I'm not really sure what else there is to say.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:57 AM

yeah...don't forget UCLA is without 2 very good d-linemen

their defense has been very shaky so far

moreso than those injuries would suggest

it's like they've regressed as a group
Old 09-23-2007, 03:22 AM

What a night at Sun Devil Stadium! The 44-32 score in favor of the Devils is not indicative of how well the team played. They spotted the Beavers a 19-0 lead before going on a 44-7 run. The pass rush was still bad, but it looked the best it's looked all season. The five picks was sweet. The most amazing thing is, for the first time since the Larry Marmie era, we have d-backs that actually have some clue where the ball is. At least one of the picks and one pass defensed go for OSU touchdowns under Snyder/Koetter. Back then the d-back would try and face guard instead of making a play on the ball. Bernard had over 100 on the ground, but 50 came on the first play from scrimmage. Overall, the run defense did a good job.

It looked like OSU was trying to bottle up the middle, because while Torain had no room to run whatsoever, ASU was able to go deep just about any time they wanted. CArpenter looked good. The recieving core is deep and talented. We got our first look at true fresman Kerry Taylor tonight.

Overall, I'd say this was their most complete performance, offenseively and defensively. Gives me a lot of hope for that 7-0 start we all want. The Devils should be ranked #25 in one poll and just outside in the other going into next weeks game at Stanford.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What a night at Sun Devil Stadium! The 44-32 score in favor of the Devils is not indicative of how well the team played. They spotted the Beavers a 19-0 lead before going on a 44-7 run. The pass rush was still bad, but it looked the best it's looked all season. The five picks was sweet. The most amazing thing is, for the first time since the Larry Marmie era, we have d-backs that actually have some clue where the ball is. At least one of the picks and one pass defensed go for OSU touchdowns under Snyder/Koetter. Back then the d-back would try and face guard instead of making a play on the ball. Bernard had over 100 on the ground, but 50 came on the first play from scrimmage. Overall, the run defense did a good job.

It looked like OSU was trying to bottle up the middle, because while Torain had no room to run whatsoever, ASU was able to go deep just about any time they wanted. CArpenter looked good. The recieving core is deep and talented. We got our first look at true fresman Kerry Taylor tonight.

Overall, I'd say this was their most complete performance, offenseively and defensively. Gives me a lot of hope for that 7-0 start we all want. The Devils should be ranked #25 in one poll and just outside in the other going into next weeks game at Stanford.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wish I'd have seen this game. We were watching the ticker and it looked like a great one.

Wild week in the Pac10. Not looking forward to visiting the Sun Devils.

b