Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 02:09 AM

Default Re: 2007 Pac 10 football thread

[ QUOTE ]
On the Erickson front, he's close to being my most hated coach. Actually, he probably does edge out Neuhisel.

Before he came to OSU I didn't really care much about them. The Civil War was a huge game and there was rivalry in that but when we weren't playing them I cheered for them to win. I distinctly remember people cheering in Autzen stadium when they were winning and it went up on the scoreboard. Since his second year there I've cheered for them to lose except when they play Washington or a team that Oregon would like to lose for a conference race or something.

Of course they were winning then and the couple years after he left, but it's more than that. They had the standard team of criminals that Erickson has had everywhere (actually I just read on wikipedia that he was the coach at wazzu in the 80s, you know anything about that dids?) and the arrogance surrounding the program was amazing given that they hadn't even been to a bowl game in a long time. Admittedly Oregon fans aren't great either, I actually think most duck fans are terrible, but the way their team and fans acted during that stretch has caused me to now dislike them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love Erickson. But yeah, he does tend to get the criminals/A-Holes on his team. However, he doesn't have the reputation as having dirty players. Just jerks.

He's like what Buddy Ryan was to NFL defense, he's to coaching college FB. 'course, lots of people don't like Buddy Ryan, either.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Fiesta bowl against ND. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] It was worth seeing the 180+ yards in penalties.

I'm also guessing Erickson being at WSU is well before Dids time.

b
Old 09-14-2007, 02:57 AM

the Fiesta Bowl v ND with the nearly 200 yards in penalties is one of my favorite games ever

I knew Erickson was at Wazzu. I saw a Tim Rosenbach, IIRC, led Cougar team absolutely destroy the fighting illini in Champaign 44 to 7 in John Mackovic's first game as coach in 1988.
This was back when Illinois used to sell out all the time and my 3rd year of season tickets.

Mackovic got better and really had the Illini looking good, but he left for texas because of the glamour and an inability to figure out how to get past Michigan.

But, yeah, Erickson was a QB/offensive guru back then, or at least he had the rep for it.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:57 AM

Erickson is a fantastic offensive coach, and does the smart thing by going the JC/quesitonable character/bad accadmics route for schools like WSU who aren't going to compete head to head with the USCs out there. From a "I want a good football" team approach, it's not bad. From a "I want to be proud of my school" perspective, it's a bit unsavory. Mostly I fault Dennis because he doesn't seem to do a lot to help these kids grow into better humans.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But, yeah, Erickson was a QB/offensive guru back then, or at least he had the rep for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if he'll have the same Def Coord. he had at Oregon St. That defense was just a monster.

b
Old 09-14-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if he'll have the same Def Coord. he had at Oregon St. That defense was just a monster.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I just noticed it with them, but one thing they did a pretty good job at was treading the line as far as penalties go. The civil war the year Oregon, OSU and Washington all tied for the Pac 10 title, they had I think 3 or 4 penalties for defensive holding but also got a pick (one of the 27 interceptions that Joey threw that game [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ) on a play where the pass would have been perfect but the tight end was arguably held by a linebacker.

I think their main edge is that they were really fast. Teams in other conferences like the Big 10 and 12 at least then weren't used to defenses with that kind of speed. It's more common in the Pac 10, but they were fast.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I just noticed it with them, but one thing they did a pretty good job at was treading the line as far as penalties go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think alot of the penalties, like in the Fiesta Bowl, were for celebration and taunting.

[ QUOTE ]
I think their main edge is that they were really fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

God yes they were. Washington got lucky and played them before they really jelled. By the end of the season I still think they were the best team. Nobody wanted to play them.

[ QUOTE ]
The civil war the year Oregon, OSU and Washington all tied for the Pac 10 title,

[/ QUOTE ]

The year UW beat Miami, yet Miami went to the NC?

b
Old 09-14-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's called "find some JC guy, sign him, and pray he rushes for 1000 yards before he rapes again"

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had a sig line, this would definitely be in the running. Well played, sir.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:31 PM

Well, I think we can call yesterday's games "separation week", as a top three very clearly established themselves while most of the others laid eggs. I'm gonna take some time to look closer at box scores and then I'll get back this evening or tomorrow with updated rankings. I can guarantee you UCLA won't be third again, though, lol. I guess I shouldn't have been so stubborn with my "I can't drop them yet, even though Olson looks terrible" philosphy, oops :P
Old 09-16-2007, 11:29 PM

Wow, I just lost a LONG post, that's really annoying. I'm not going to retype all my justifications right now, but my Pac Ten rankings now are:

#1 - USC
#2 - Cal
#3 - Oregon
big gap...
#4 - Arizona State
big gap...
#5 - Washington
#6 - Washington State
#7 - Oregon State
#8 - Arizona
#9 - UCLA
#10 - Stanford
Old 09-17-2007, 12:00 AM

You're def overreacting to UCLA's beating, but other than that, it looks solid. You also might be underestimating ASU (but who knows about them).