Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 10:33 PM

Default AT turn spot on super dry board

Villain is 54/17/1.5. Fold to flop bet is 25 if that means anything. I feel like I get c/red here 100% of the time and they always have the 9.

Absolute Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $3/$6
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, 2 folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6.67SB, 3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4.33BB, 2 players)
UTG checks, Hero
Old 07-01-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: AT turn spot on super dry board

i tend to b/c here most of the time, sometimes its an A, other times its a 9 or even just air (occasionally against the rare opp its a 4!)
Old 07-01-2007, 10:47 PM

This is one of those spots where checking behind and calling a river bet may be more profitable than bet/calling down on the turn simply becuz you are never folding if check/raised.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like I get c/red here 100% of the time and they always have the 9.

[/ QUOTE ]

nah you know better than this [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

i think b/c is better than b/f

what do you guys think of a check behind to induce riv bet that we call? putting villain squarely on air.

also i don't think a 9 makes up his utg range a ton? 98 or something? obv you have the reads.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:51 PM

I got no beef w/ a check. Probably the main reason I hate poker right now is that villian bets the river 100% of the time except when I have this very hand.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got no beef w/ a check. Probably the main reason I hate poker right now is that villian bets the river 100% of the time except when I have this very hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming B/F is not an option, I think against most opponents checking behind and calling a river bet/betting river if checked to, will be the optimal line becuz they will have 9x or a nothing hand like QJ pretty close to 50% of the time when they call this flop.

Another line that may be worth discussing is checking the turn and raising/folding a river bet assuming our kicker still plays. I will call this the Johnny Chan line since the first time I seen this line discussed was in his limit holdem book. The problem with this line is I dont like raise/folding the river against many opponent types after I take such a weird line. The bonus of this line is you win 2 BB's when ahead instead of just 1BB when you run the check/behind play and you lose 2BB's instead of 3BB's when you bet/call down.

So Johnny Chan's line is kind of a middle ground and im sure this exotic line can be applicable against some opponents as long as were greater than a 50% favorite to have the best hand when our opponent calls our river raise. BTW when Johnny Chan talked about this line it was for a spot just like this, aces up with a pair on the board.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:35 PM

Bet/Call Down. You are giving up too much value by checking here.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:45 PM

I like the check through here with this villian if you've been running over the game.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:45 AM

Vs. some 20/13 UTG limper I would check but these guys call down with virtually ATC sometimes, I would definitely bet and call down.