Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2006, 05:07 PM

Default PLO100 flop agression with plenty of non nut outs

5 handed PLO100 table. My main opponent in this hand (UTG) seems quite straightforward and loose calling station. The Button that raised preflop hasn't done anything that I would have noticed (i.e. unknown). CO was very agressive, when we were playin HU and 3-handed and assumed that he was still playing too agressively.

I've been loose and passive preflop and too agressive post-flop.

stack sizes:

Button 67,05
Hero 252,80
BB 103,05
UTG 39,10
CO 103,75

Dealt to hero:
10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Preflop:
UTG - call 1
CO - call 1
Button - Raise to 3
Hero - call 2,50
BB - fold
UTG - call 2
CO - call 2

Flop (4-handed pot 13,00)
K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Not that bad flop for me. I've a pair, flush draw and nice straight draw. I bet small to induce raise (from agro CO) and hope that I can reraise to drive all others out.

Hero bet 5
UTG call 5
CO fold
Button fold

We'll it didn't go as planned. Good news is that I got it HU, bad news is that straightfowrward player called and my fold equity will be low at later streets.

Turn (HU, pot 23,00)
3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero Bet 23,00
UTG Call 23,00

River (HU pot 69)
4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet pot and UTG calls his remaining 8,40.

Comments on all streets (except river) welcomed.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:02 PM

Default Re: PLO100 flop agression with plenty of non nut outs

Well the biggest problem here is that you are betting on all streets against a callstations, who generally have the ability to disguise their hand by never raising. So you have no idea what he's got. How much fold equity do you think you have on the turn? All he needs is to have a higher pair + flush draw and you're in trouble. If he's gonna call with that, check and hope for a free card.

In terms of flop play, I don't like betting into a field of 4 into a raised pot with less than 9 nut outs/some sort of near-nut made hand. If you get more than one call, you have no idea where you stand, or what cards you can rely on to help your hand.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:12 PM

wazz and guilt_trip:
I agree that the flop bet is generally bad idea in this situation. I tried to maximise my fold equity, if I get a raise by reraising if possible. On the other hand, I wouldn't be too concerned, if I get several calls because of the outs I had and my bet was relatively small. As wazz said I definetly should have had more outs to the nuts to bet this flop. Check-raise is good idea also. Unfortunately I've been too agro and my check-raises didn't get much respect from CO and UTG.

I think that pot sized bet on turn is little bit better than check. I really want to see fold here, even if it is quite unlikely to happen. If he calls I don't mind it that much. He doesn't have much left after the call and I get quite cheap LAG advertising. I've always some outs.

If results interest. Opponent did have a big drawing hand, but my equity on turn was still good:
10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

odds flop:
pokenum -o tc 8d 7s 5s - ts 9s 7h 5h -- ks 8s 6c
Omaha Hi: 820 enumerated boards containing Ks 8s 6c
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
7s 5s Tc 8d 234 28.54 421 51.34 165 20.12 0.386
Ts 9s 7h 5h 421 51.34 234 28.54 165 20.12 0.614

Odds Turn:
pokenum -o tc 8d 7s 5s - ts 9s 7h 5h -- ks 8s 6c 3c
Omaha Hi: 40 enumerated boards containing Ks 8s 6c 3c
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
7s 5s Tc 8d 21 52.50 13 32.50 6 15.00 0.600
Ts 9s 7h 5h 13 32.50 21 52.50 6 15.00 0.400
Old 11-23-2006, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My main opponent in this hand (UTG) seems quite straightforward and loose calling station.

[/ QUOTE ]

So why keep betting into him? He'll pay you off with TTP a set or he could even have a better flush draw than you. Just check and hope for a free turn card and then punish him when you hit the straight

Also if the CO is overly aggro then why not check it to him and then go for the check/raise to drive him out and get some dead money in with your nice draw? I mean if you're up against KKxx or K6xx then you've got decent equity here and may drive out better flush draws