Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 03:57 AM

Default How to play gut shot against a raise?

No reads.

Ultimate Bet 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (10 handed) Ultimate Bet Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">HERO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">HERO bets</font>, BB calls.

I think betting out here is standard. I hold 2 overs, and a gut shot.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">HERO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, HERO ?

I bet out, since I figure I might win on this spot too, and won't want to show any weakness. Do I call this raise? Pot's laying me 6.25:1. Dangerous turn card...

Just one more beginner's question. When I look at the pot odds when I'm raised, do I consider what I've bet initially? ie in this above hand example, should I be looking at pot odds of 6.25:1 or 5:25:2?
Old 11-17-2007, 04:05 AM

Default Re: How to play gut shot against a raise?

Check the turn... that board hits just about every defending hand out there. As played, give yourself only about 4-5 outs and do the pot odds calculation.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:07 AM

don't bet these turns when there is 0% chance they will fold.

if you are playing for pennies and ther are 7 folds, leave the table at once and either move up, or play a better table.

[ QUOTE ]
When I look at the pot odds when I'm raised, do I consider what I've bet initially? ie in this above hand example, should I be looking at pot odds of 6.25:1 or 5:25:2?

[/ QUOTE ]

the money you put in the pot can't be taken out, so it is considered the your odds caluclations. you must look at what the pot size is at each decision, not what you have invested.

your situation is 6.25:1. Do you think you have the odds to call with waht youar are holding?
Old 11-17-2007, 04:09 AM

If you're betting this turn card, it has to be with the intention of folding to a check/raise.

Your pot odds are 6.25:1. Once you commit a chip to the pot, it becomes the pot's property...it's no longer yours, and you are therefore no longer risking it (but still stand to win it).
Old 11-17-2007, 04:21 AM

Kings = 2 outs (1 king make a four flush)
Queens = maybe 1 out (1 queen makes a four flush, the others make a straight for a jack, so they have to be discounted)
Jacks = 3 outs (1 jack makes a four flush)
With MAYBE 6 outs (might already be drawing dead) you need 6.7-1 to break even.
Getting 6.25-1 you should fold this.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:41 AM

I'd fold. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2007, 07:26 AM

I'd check the turn behind. Yeah people at this limit tend to peel the flop very light HU, but that turn card completed a load of draws. Taking a free card here also gives you a chance to hit your gutshot.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:16 AM

Grunch:

Preflop: Good

Flop: I also CB here.

Turn: I check behind BB thinking I will take the free card and that BB is not calling with air. I will evaluate on the River.

Too many times have I fired that 2nd barrel and get called down by 2nd pair. Flush and straight draws came in too.

If my count is correct, you are getting 6.25:1 to call his raise to draw to your OC and I would think you have to discount you 6 outs to maybe 4.5 which does not give you odds to peel.