Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2007, 06:47 AM

Default for Dems/Repub\'s - who do you NOT want to see nominated for Prez.

Question for Repub's and Democrats - pay attention for I have no patience for fools tonight - This goes double for AC hijacks.

Out of the Candidates running for president ONLY in your favored party, (Republican or Democratic - Libertarians and the rest usually don't have the fields that those two do but feel free to pick one if ya want...) -

which one do you most want to see NOT get the presidental nomination? Your primary motivation will probably be because you don't think they can win - (as I feared with Kerry in 2004) but feel free to elaborate on your reasoning...

for whatever reason - it's no secret Kerry wasn't the first choice for most Democrats in 2004 - let's try to stick to viable candidates who have announced a candidacy or an exploratory committee or have tossed out a potential run...

As for myself, I was discussing in a previous forum tonight I can think of no worse Democratic candidate then Hillary Clinton - Her husband inflammed the Republicans in the 1990's, and I believe her carpetbagger baggage will come back to haunt her - I doubt she could have gotten elected anywhere else but New York, and I doubt she could carry a national election - I think were she nominated, she would not win no matter who she ran against.

As a person who voted Republican in 2000, I'd have voted for McCain and even would have supported him as a VP to a Democratic presidental candidate - but seeing his recent backpedaling has cost him a lot of allies in his own party, esp. his Arizona base who now consider him a liability who is just trying to do anything to get elected. This image will not be lost on the opposition and I believe if he was nominated, he would not win. If I were still a Repub and we were back in 2000, he would have my full support whereas now he would not - in fact, I might have said in 2004 or thereabouts I'd have considered a McCain option even now if it was still the 2000 McCain, but not the 2007 McCain -

you get the idea - who do you think is the worst candidate your party is considering for the nomination and why?

RB
Old 02-18-2007, 07:31 AM

Default Re: for Dems/Repub\'s - who do you NOT want to see nominated for Prez.

[ QUOTE ]
you get the idea - who do you think is the worst candidate your party is considering for the nomination and why?

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't say "worst", so I'll qualify it by saying worst of the front runners. As an ex-military, moderate Republican, the front runner I'd not like to get the nomination would be McCain. So right now, barring any major turmoil, I'm planning on supporting Giuliani.

(And if it wouldn't derail your post too much, I'd be curious to hear how many Dem's could support Rudy over Hillary.)
Old 02-18-2007, 07:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't say "worst", so I'll qualify it by saying worst of the front runners. As an ex-military, moderate Republican, the front runner I'd not like to get the nomination would be McCain. So right now, barring any major turmoil, I'm planning on supporting Giuliani.

(And if it wouldn't derail your post too much, I'd be curious to hear how many Dem's could support Rudy over Hillary.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a suspicion if it was Rudy vs Hillary you'd see the lowest turnout ever for a presidental election from the Democrats - LOL

from what I've heard of how he ran things as mayor, they're almost interchangable - used to bullying their way thru the party obstacles - no love for him either I would think -

RB
Old 02-18-2007, 04:08 PM

Of the major Democratic candidates, I'd have to vote against everyone except Barack Obama (Al Gore not included since he's not really a candidate). Every other candidate did or does support the Iraq war, which shows a major fault in their decision making process and judgment. A fault I definitely would not want our head executive to have.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:38 PM

I second hillary. That women is so awful. She's going to alienate both the left-wing and the right wing of the democratic party. Amazing. Seeing her run might spark a conservative "anyone but hillary" movement also.

On a sidenote, I seriously hate the everloving [censored] out of her. She's prowar, and her record on public health care is a farce. She poopooed any real plans for universal health care, refusing to even talk to anyone proposing a real health care plan. Seeing her run would almost make me want to vote for a republican out of spite.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:44 PM

Yeah, I am on the anti hilary band wagon. It's so strange that she has such a following while everyone I know resents her. Maybe because I am from a state that is behind Obama.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:52 PM

Republican - really anyone who is a "social conservative" in the mold of GWB and not because I have it out for that particular group but I strongly believe the country and the republican party would benefit greatly for a different perspective.

I guess right now that would be Brownback but I'm sure others will emerge soon enough.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:59 PM

Clinton is the one Democratic candidate who would definitely make me vote Green. I don't want Republicans to nominate McCain because I think he matches up well against any Democratic candidate and might win.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Clinton is the one Democratic candidate who would definitely make me vote Green. I don't want Republicans to nominate McCain because I think he matches up well against any Democratic candidate and might win.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should not that I will be also voting green during this election cycle. Although it's easy for me to do since I live in Illinois. If Obama gets the nomination there is no way he won't get all the electoral votes for this state.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:57 PM

As a Democrat out of the likely candidates i would say Hillary. I agree with her the least out of the top 5.