Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Graphite versus Steel shafts on irons (post is focused only on irons)

My entire life I've played with steel shafted irons. I'm looking at an iron set now and would probably go with the custom Nippon NS Pro 950 steel shafts. This iron set also comes with the custom option of Aldila NV 105 graphite shafts.

I know that graphite shafts are more expensive than steel shafts. I'm guessing this is because they are more expensive to manufacture. However, is this also a case of "you get what you pay for" in that the technology is superior? If this were the case I'd expect a high percentage of PGA Tour players to be playing graphite iron shafts which isn't the case.

What differences could I expect to experience converting to graphite shafts after playing steel shafts for the past 20 years? Does anybody have experience in making this transition? If so, what feedback on this experience would you have for me?

If it makes a difference my swing speed dictates an S (stiff) flex on my irons.

Thanks,
ligastar
Old 06-08-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Graphite versus Steel shafts on irons (post is focused only on irons)

Bottom line, steel is more consistant than graphite.

Unless you're an old man struggling for distance (clearly you're not), there is no reason to go with the graphite shafts in your irons.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Graphite versus Steel shafts on irons (post is focused only on iro

There is no performance benefit from graphite you’re paying for the manufacturing process. The days when graphite was less consistent then steel have past. What graphite does offer over steel is the possibility of much lighter weights and vibration dampening. Cushion steel shafts weigh about 120 grams a graphite shaft weighing 55 can do the same thing. Some manufactures sell their standard graphite sets an inch longer then their steel because the lighter weight allows them to do so. I tried a set with EL-70 I couldn’t feel the club head in the back swing and sold them on eBay.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no performance benefit from graphite you’re paying for the manufacturing process. The days when graphite was less consistent then steel have past. What graphite does offer over steel is the possibility of much lighter weights and vibration dampening. Cushion steel shafts weigh about 120 grams a graphite shaft weighing 55 can do the same thing. Some manufactures sell their standard graphite sets an inch longer then their steel because the lighter weight allows them to do so. I tried a set with EL-70 I couldn’t feel the club head in the back swing and sold them on eBay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure this is true. Where are you getting this information from?
Old 06-08-2007, 04:04 PM

I'll just reiterate what the others have said. Graphite is lighter and weaker players need this to generate proper clubhead speed. A lot of people with bad wrists and elbows also like graphite b/c they dampen the shock of striking the ball. I highly doubt any graphite shaft is as consistent as steel or we would see the majority of pros playing them. I can only think of Verplank off the top of my head.They want an 8 iron that flys 152 everytime, not a graphite 8 iron that may flex differently sometimes and fly 145 or 158+. Some of the high end graphite shafts(FUJI,ACCRA) may be close to replicating the performance and consistency of steel but I doubt it's there yet. The numbers on the tour speak volumes here, they have access to the best stuff in the world and still aren't playing graphite in irons.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:37 PM

Switched to graphite for some years in middle age to reduce repetitive stress, playing or practicing as often as five days a week.

And back to steel, kidding myself I can feel a difference. Ball flight is lower, even with R shafts which, in my case, is good.

There used to be a lot of graphite on the Senior Tour, for distance. Don't know about now. I expect the hybrid/high-degree wood revolution has pretty much mooted this, since long irons are out of the bag. Frankly, I wouldn't advise an amateur to carry anything stronger than a five iron and I can't see playing graphite wedges, so...

I've always advocated more flex for feel and distance with a less vigorous swing...
Old 06-08-2007, 07:41 PM

Check this link out for some good information on the steel vs graphite argument.

http://golf.about.com/od/faqs/a/golf_shafts_faq.htm

I play steel mainly because they give better feedback when I hit the ball.