Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2006, 02:50 PM

Default Outsiders View On America Today

I always wished I could of been an American growing up. I remember having uncles and family south of the border, and the great trips we took as kids to Florida, Montana and California and occasionally Maine.

The culture was more alive, and as a young college student, the capitalistic society and the opportunities America presents entrepreneurs seemed amazing to me. Despite Canada being very left wing, I always strayed from that line of thinking and was more “right of left” in my political opinions.

I really have to say, and this just isn’t regards to online gambling being banned in America, or whatever this bill did. There are groups in your country who are really, and frankly crazy.

Look at what Frist did, he was a radical Christian and trying to show off for the bible belt. He is not thinking for the “greater” good, he is thinking for votes, and “look at me” type mentality. This type of behavior is all to common in America and I believe raping the country of progress.

I believe I was down to Florida last November and remember hearing a group of Lawyers out in California who made a big fuss and now no longer allow Christmas in some states to be celebrated at schools, i.e no green red decorations, no mention of “Santa Claus” etc, when I inquired about this group, they are the most powerful men in America and have gotten involved in some really wacko causes, I think Mr. Frist isn’t that far off.

I am kind of rambling here, but from an outsider I really feel sorry for the censorship that has been imposed on America, even the organization that over views radio/music in your country is nuts, i.e Howard Stern is now on Satellite Radio because of restrictions etc.

Anyway, wow... I’d be truly scared to live in that country knowing thatreligious groups have absolute power in your country and wow, they are pretty nuts.

Good luck Americans.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Outsiders View On America Today

This is true,

There was a time not really that long ago where the American president was liked and respected all over the world. Now the opposite couldnt be more the case.

The anti gambling legeslation just shows how stupid some people in power over there are. I used to think America was cool and it would be great to live there etc - this week Im thanking my lucky stars im not. Land of the free my ass
Old 10-02-2006, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i.e Howard Stern is now on Satellite Radio because of restrictions etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
You realize that when Howard Stern went to Sirius, the Canadian government wouldn't let his show be broadcast in your country, right? I'm not defending the FCC. I think its an irrelevant, agenda-driven disgrace of an organization. But a Canadian criticizing the United States free speech laws is laughable. Your "hate speech" laws are much worse than FCC restrictions. At least here we allow citizens (and non-citizens) the right to speak their mind, no matter how despicable their opinions.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i.e Howard Stern is now on Satellite Radio because of restrictions etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
You realize that when Howard Stern went to Sirius, the Canadian government wouldn't let his show be broadcast in your country, right? I'm not defending the FCC. I think its an irrelevant, agenda-driven disgrace of an organization. But a Canadian criticizing the United States free speech laws is laughable. Your "hate speech" laws are much worse than FCC restrictions. At least here we allow citizens (and non-citizens) the right to speak their mind, no matter how despicable their opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should do some more research on the matter. However, the purpose of my "view" was to illustrate that just in my short lifetime, albeit 23 years, people from outside your country viewed America as "the place" myself included, but now, would not live there due to the "under ground" that really makes your country turn.

I.e Religous groups ( like frist) / Secret Hand Shake Lawyer groups etc

Anyway, Im not saying America sucks, without adoubt the most beautiful country I have ever visited, something about the Gulf Coast Air, never saw "green" like the vegitation Maine has,, biggest sky I have ever seen in was In Montana.

Just hope the country can figure out that all the Patriot Acts etc are not going to make the country any more safe than pre 9/11.