Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2006, 06:08 AM

Default Rock is dead

I grew up on zepplin, sabbath, and all the great 80's metal (metallica, slayer, maiden) and still listen to all of it. Obviously I lean to the heavy stuff, but I like classic rock as much as the next guy.

The 90's were great for rock and metal IMO. It seemed like I discovered a new band I really liked every few weeks. Other than QOTSA I wouldn't put any current band in the same league with AIC, soundgarden, CoC, toadies, STP, clutch, pearl jam, tool, NIN, helmet, melvins, or monster magnet (don't laugh, this is a good band).

The stuff on the radio today all sounds bad and the same to me. Seriously, is three doors down and nickelback the best we can come up with? This had been bugging me for some time, does anyone agree with me?
Old 07-26-2006, 06:22 AM

Default Re: Rock is dead

It pains me to the center of my being each and every day.

The current music industry is what happens when all music is tuned to the demographic of 12 year old girls....voila!

I would not be totally opposed to jail terms for making crap pop/rock.

And I agree with you about Monster Magnet, they do indeed rock!

CaM
Old 07-26-2006, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The current music industry is what happens when all music is tuned to the demographic of 12 year old girls....voila!

[/ QUOTE ]

People were saying weird stuff like this 25 years ago. Except back then, "hair" (and visual presence) was taking over music due to MTV's influence.

Rock music will endure.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:46 AM

Rock will endure, of course. The question is, what needs to be done in order to create an atmosphere conducive to the emergence of quality rock bands?

The music industry is in a poor place because, I believe, of the maketing strategies employed. The strategies which favor kids.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:01 AM

Rock is not dead, hard rock that is still a wavelength below metal is certainly not at its peak though.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:23 AM

Listening to the radio, even US rock radio is not really showing the real picture of whats going on.

You are totally wrong about rock and particulary metal being dead, in fact the bands coming through now are playing more traditional sounding music as nu metal died. There is such a variety in metal these days probably the most variety ever, just its a bit more underground than its peak.

Get yourself on myspace for a couple of hours, goto the music bit click on top rated artists and choose rock or metal genre and start clicking, I am sure you will find a load of bands that get your interest.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rock will endure, of course. The question is, what needs to be done in order to create an atmosphere conducive to the emergence of quality rock bands?

The music industry is in a poor place because, I believe, of the maketing strategies employed. The strategies which favor kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its happening already bands can now record demos cheaply, at home if needs be, and self promote and market online to a much wider relavent audience than has ever been the case previously, without any help for a label, they still need a label to get the proper product to market though.

Look at the success the Artic Monkeys have had and that was all based around the buzz generated on the net and by the band releasing free songs online etc. I beleive they will be the first of many.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:30 AM

The next Bob Dylan will likely be more Eminem than Bob Dylan.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:42 AM

Hard Rock/Heavy Metal that gets radioplay has always been terrible. You aren't going to find your replacement for Slayer on the radio.
You should definitely try out Mastodon. I would guess you would really like their newest album, Leviathan.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:50 AM

Turbo Negro