Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 11:19 PM

Default Home Cash Game (chip set-up) Results

OK. Thanks to all the responses for the home game set-up. I went with general advice about how many red chips to have for each player and it worked great.
We never even went to $00.10/00.25 blinds. We just stayed at $00.05/00.10. Which would seem like a low game. For the 4 hours we played, we probably had about 13-15 rebuys in the 10-25 buck range.

Wouldn't have thought game would end up big, but:

Last hand (and we've announced we're quitting in 10 minutes).

I end up with pocket 99s on a 88548 rainbow board.
Let's just say I threw them away in about 10 seconds when a guy came back all in over the top for $23 bucks. The original raiser called (he had 53os by the way). All in guy had 83 (and he called a decent raise preflop). Crazy.

Reading all of these posts here in strategy section about not just saying "Well, I've got a full house, I've got to call" really, really paid off. I flipped them over and said "nope".

It felt good to fold a decent monster when I knew I was beat (the all-in guy was pretty solid).

That pot ended up being about 65 bucks without me calling the last $23.

One guy sits down at game (2 hours in). Buys in for $20. Flops Ace high straight and bets all the way. He's got the other guy all in on the turn (he's chasing the flush) and guy hits his flush. Very first hand he loses $20 bucks with someone chasing. That kind of night.

Thanks again for all the help on chips. Really helped me keep the game going without any issues on blinds.

E
Old 07-06-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Home Cash Game (chip set-up) Results

Nice read, A+ glad it worked out for you. Honestly it's not about the blinds, but more so the stacks behind the blinds that matter.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:02 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

10c/20c ftw
Old 07-06-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
10c/20c ftw

[/ QUOTE ]

Really was thinking we'd do a little higher blinds but when we started we only had 3 guys and they were all pretty good players (we were waiting for some of the not quite as good players). We started out with 00.05/00.10 with 10 bucks waiting for people to show up. When they did, it was one at a time and it never felt right to move them up. My biggest concern is being able to have a game 2xs a month with my group and I just don't want it to cost anyone too much money. Most guys played for 3-4 hours and lost only 30 bucks maybe. Really keeps the wife happy. Even the one guy who lost 30-35 bucks commented about 5 hours of entertainment for 30-35 bucks. That means to me that I'm setting the game up in a positive way.

Really am glad I posted about stack sizes. It really did help. I don't think we had but 2 xs somebody who was in the game had to ask for red chips (5cent)

Thanks again.

We'll probably do 10/20 (cents) next time and see what happens.

Man, I'm ready to play again.

All you 'young folks' without wives and kids and 8-5 jobs, just have a blast. I love my life and wouldn't trade it for anything (self-employed), but I just can't take off for hours and hours every week to go play. Have to plan it in advance.

(2 cups of coffee and a Red Bull..sorry)
Old 07-07-2007, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All you 'young folks' without wives and kids and 8-5 jobs, just have a blast. I love my life and wouldn't trade it for anything (self-employed), but I just can't take off for hours and hours every week to go play. Have to plan it in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not self employed, but I do have a day job that does not permit me to take a lot of time off either. Sounds like your game really went well. I too run a small home tourney game (less than 18 people) that I wish we could play every night however, our schedule usually ends up being about every two weeks which is fine with me and the wife. Usually, we start off with a small cash game (.10/.25) and when all players show up for the tournament we stop. Some of the guys/girls do not like cash games which is ok.

Anyhow, good luck and have fun.

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2007, 09:09 AM

Yeah, for real - the blinds have absolutely no impact on the size of the game. I've played in a regular 2-3 times weekly cash game for the last year and we play £0.05/£0.10 blinds and with 9 players we regularly end up with £200+ on the table. It's a very typical home game as in the standard PF raise is around about 20bb, but it's fun as [censored] and most people who turn up do it for the banter.

So I totally agree that, if the main focus of your game is entertainment, you should be keeping the blinds small - it makes no difference to the amount of money that can be won (for those that are taking it seriously) and it also reduces the pain of a reload.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:51 AM

Sounds great - some of the most fun I've had playing poker has been for small stakes with friends. Glad you're enjoying it. Just one small thing about your post...

[ QUOTE ]
All in guy had 83 (and he called a decent raise preflop).

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
(the all-in guy was pretty solid).

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2007, 12:51 AM

touche..

I should have said "It appears that post-flop, he played a pretty solid game."

His starting hands "He played tons.."

Ok..so the all-in guy was kind of maniac pre-flop but had a pretty good idea of where he was on the flop.

That works, right?

Thanks for the just subtle smiley face and no real thrashing.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the just subtle smiley face and no real thrashing.

[/ QUOTE ]

That comes after post 25.... watch out!
Old 07-11-2007, 09:38 AM

I agree the size of the blinds was not important here. 13-15 $20ish rebuys in 4 hours? Can I get in that game?