Poker Stars, $1/$2 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

BTN: $276.55
SB: $257.80
Hero (BB): $162.40
UTG: $56.30
CO: $200

CO posts $2
Pre-Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
UTG folds, CO checks, <font color="red">BTN raises to $10</font>, SB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $34</font>, CO folds, BTN calls $24

Flop: ($71) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $36</font>

Hero ....?

Don't have much history on villain. Over a small sample he's somewhat looser with almost no post-flop aggression. He thought for a good while before he called the 3-bet preflop. For some reason, it seemed to me like he was thinking about how to proceed with a huge hand, most likely Aces (I don't usually just put a guy on aces, but it seemed to me like most hands besides KK and AA wouldnt really need to think this long preflop). Maybe my mistake was not betting this flop, but is he betting this flop with hands we're beating? Any thoughts?
Old 11-19-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Overpair in RR pot

1. We're less than 100BB
2. B/c the flop, please don't check it.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:05 PM

It's funny. Most of the time this an easy spot for me, but something about it slowed me down. Looking back on it now, he could easily have called my three bet with 99+. And he would definitely bet such a hand on the flop, especially when I under-represent my hand by checking on the flop. Correct?
Old 11-19-2007, 01:08 PM

b/c &gt; c/r &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&g t;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt; anything else

whatever you need to do to get a lot of monies in on this flop.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:09 PM

I would just b/c. 71 in there and 128 left so folding is out of the question and I think trying to c/r here is a bit too tricky
Old 11-19-2007, 01:12 PM

Didnt you already make the decision on this hand by checking the flop? You either checked because you were surrendering this hand, or you wanted to get all the money in with a check-raise. So which one was it? If you were still unsure about where you stood, or what your approach for the rest of the hand was, checking was an awful move.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Didnt you already make the decision on this hand by checking the flop? You either checked because you were surrendering this hand, or you wanted to get all the money in with a check-raise. So which one was it? If you were still unsure about where you stood, or what your approach for the rest of the hand was, checking was an awful move.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your analysis is correct and, in a way, I think I played the hand like a fish; little bit of a brain fart. My thought, during the hand, was that I wasn't sure where I stood, given that I didn't think he would bet a missed flop in a RR pot. That analysis is flawed however, given the fact that he could easily have had 99+. That being said, however, I do feel that, given his aggression factor, there is room to proceed cautiously in this hand. Some very timid players will not bet 99/TT here very strongly, especially not in a RR pot, so I may have had a personal read here that he was very strong. So, while I think you're right about defining my line with my check on the flop, I think theres room in this hand, especially against an opponent that I feel will play his cards face up, to check and see what he does. I think when I checked, my read was strengthened and I put him on a strong hand. Believe me, this is not standard play for me.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just thinking out loud here.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:31 PM

you check/folded??? nonononono. I don't think you can put him on AA just because of a timing tell. He could have just as easily been making a marginal decision between calling and folding. Or just multitabling. Theres a good chance he knows (thinks) your 3betting range against his button raise is somewhat wide, but you actually have a strong hand here. On this flop, with these stacks, there's NO way you can consider folding JJ. I suppose CRAI is viable if you know he'll bet, but bet/call is best.

If he had QQ-AA and you got it in, there's nothing you can do and you will lose money in the long run by folding in a spot like this.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:40 PM

this is awful. why would you 3-bet pf with the intention of c/f-ing this board for these stacks? doesnt make any sense.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:43 PM

we're a little short, b/c and get the money in