Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 02:04 PM

Default My Job - Do I need to Weight Lift

I move furniture for a living and usually don't have time to go down to the gym to work out. Just wondering is it necessary to go down to the gym to lose weight.

I'm also going on a diet ... not really a certain diet but just not eating greasy and junk foods. Also, cutting down on portions and drinking nothing but water.

If you need anymore info I'd be glad to supply it.

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:36 PM

Default Re: My Job - Do I need to Weight Lift

lifting weights certainly won't hurt.

Moving furniture is a pretty damn good workout though.

Just diet and run as much as you can should be enough to lose weight since you moving heavy things around all day.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:15 PM

For the strain you put your lower back through, you might be better served by something like yoga.

Otherwise, if you lift, you seem like the ideal candidate for strength-based work-outs. Low reps, few sets, and heavy. Not a lot of times per week, considering what you do for a living and that you need some recovery time. You can still get very strong that way.

If you do the typical bodybuilding high sets and reps, plus move furniture all the time, you'll probably wind up overworking and stalling your progress. And also, strength would be very helpful to you while the alternatives of building lots more mass wouldn't do anything for you and endurance is covered by your daily grind anyway.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:01 PM

"If you do the typical bodybuilding high sets and reps, plus move furniture all the time, you'll probably wind up overworking and stalling your progress"

not to mention probably sore as hell and unable to function as well at your job...
Old 11-14-2007, 05:01 PM

I moved furniture for 3 summers and my crew went to the gym after work pretty much every day. Some days are harder than others, but the typical house is really not that bad. (of course you get that house that had 25 book boxes on the 3rd floor but not usually) I really dont think that moving furniture is a substitute for either aerobic or strength training and both should be done outside of work. However, you said that you do not have time... It is definately possible to lose weight becuase the job is so active if you make adjustments to your diet.

I really dont think that strength training will burn you out or make you nonfunctional at work. In my experience, i never got burnt out.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:48 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Just a quick question ... do I need to get the fat-free cottage cheese or is regular fine ... I fine the regular has a taste and the fat-free just taste awful.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I moved furniture for 3 summers and my crew went to the gym after work pretty much every day. Some days are harder than others, but the typical house is really not that bad. (of course you get that house that had 25 book boxes on the 3rd floor but not usually) I really dont think that moving furniture is a substitute for either aerobic or strength training and both should be done outside of work. However, you said that you do not have time... It is definately possible to lose weight becuase the job is so active if you make adjustments to your diet.

I really dont think that strength training will burn you out or make you nonfunctional at work. In my experience, i never got burnt out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Strength training won't, but bodybuilding training might.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the replies.

Just a quick question ... do I need to get the fat-free cottage cheese or is regular fine ... I fine the regular has a taste and the fat-free just taste awful.

[/ QUOTE ]
I find that mixing stuff with the fat-free makes it much better. Check out some of the older threads here for topping ideas. I think the regular stuff is fine; just keep in mind that there are more calories and adjust appropriately elsewhere in your diet.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:22 AM

Fat isn't bad for you. It's just caloric dense. Eat the regular kind and use fitday at first to adjust your portion sizes.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:41 AM

On a side not, whats the disstinction people are making between body-building vs strength training?