Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2007, 12:58 PM

Default Should Vice Principal Lose Her Job? - (*Warning-Gruesome topic\")

Just a warning - the topic below concerns a dead child.....

This lady in my city completely forgot about her little daughter and left her all day in her hot car while she went to work at a middle school where she is an assistant principal. Tragically, the girl died. The local prosecutor decided not to press charges. I don’t know, I’ve mixed feelings on this. A great amount of compassion and yet disbelief that anyone could be so negligent.

Now we come to learn that Brenda Slaby had actually been warned on several occasions not to leave her baby in the car while she went inside her other daughter's day care center.

People in my town are horrified. The parents at her school are sending hundreds of emails and phone calls (not to mention talking on forums) threatening to pull their kids out of the school if she isn't fired. But the school has said they are bound by a contract. By all accounts she was a pretty good and reliable employee. Her friends and the prosecutor are supporting this woman and accuse the rest of the town of being uncompassionate and creating a mob mentality.

So I ask the lounge this - Does gross negligence of your own child justify dismissal from your job if you work in a school? Are these parents being reasonable to demand Brenda Slaby’s firing?