Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2007, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Golf in Vegas

[ QUOTE ]
knicknut, checked out the website for that course. Looks pretty awesome but I'm annoyed the site doesn't have a hole-by-hole breakdown or map, or scans of the yardage book. I don't get all why public, daily fee courses aren't doing that by now. If it's as nice as you say they need to put that out there.

Also, since the second set of tees is like 500+ yards shorter than the tips, I'm tipping out every time. 6400 yards at high desert is probably more like 6000 in most other places, where the elevation is lower and the air more himid. Too short for single digit handicappers IMO, unless the course is super tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, it's fairway or 50 foot deep canyon most of the time. Add 30 mph winds and some 280 yd carries (I drive it 285 or so on flat ground at sea level and I barely make some of the carries) and I can totally understand why they don't put the tees out there. I'm a 4 and I'm 1/8 on breaking 80, as I said. Doesn't stop me from playing those tees, though, and it's the highlight of my golfing year [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2007, 12:40 AM

**** brag post **** but not really because I suck at golf (my best round was probably 87). I work for a Toyota dealership and the owner loves Vegas and golf and he pays for everything for our entire group that makes the trip.

In my experience, this is what I recall of prices and courses:

Rio Secco course in Henderson/ Butch Harmon School of Golf . You have to stay at the Rio and the package is around $3000/person for 2 day school w/Butch. I have been to three of these and Butch is really a cool guy with amazing stories and his assistants obviously know what they are doing when it comes to helping someone with their game no matter what skill level. Rio course is fun with lots of elevated tees and easy for us "non pros".

Shadow Creek you have to stay at a Steve Wynn property and it is almost always comped but if I think the green fee is $500/person. I put my stuff in George Bush's locker (I dont know which one} when I played there. WTF, the locker was unlocked and thought it would be a good story even if I was arrested by the CIA.

Bear's Best was absolutely a blast and around $200/person plus caddie.

Bali Hai on the strip and also in the same price range. Driving range is hitting into a net 50 yards in front of you and you have to watch out for your tee shot hitting planes flying overhead if you often "pop" 'em up like me.

Reflection Bay hated it!!!! They play or use to play the Wendy's Three Tour Challenge there and if you hit a green (even with a wedge form 100 yards out) the damn ball would roll off the green into the water. I dont remeber how much it cost but if I remember correctly it was also out in Henderson which meant long drive for a miserably experience.

Cascata very cool course. I would pay to play there myself but have no idea how much it costs but I do remember that you do have to have one of their caddies. Those son of a bitches can find any ball you hit. They are like bird dogs on crack.

The Falls = it was windy and I suck at golf. That is a bad combination so I think I shot around 110 on that round. This is one of the few courses you can play for under $200/person.

I hope this helps.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Reflection Bay hated it!!!! They play or use to play the Wendy's Three Tour Challenge there and if you hit a green (even with a wedge form 100 yards out) the damn ball would roll off the green into the water. I dont remeber how much it cost but if I remember correctly it was also out in Henderson which meant long drive for a miserably experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really enjoyed this course. Didn't notice that green runoff that annoyed you.

I am envious of all the other exclusive courses you've played. I've heard Cascata was the most expensive/one of the hardest to get on in the world.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am envious of all the other exclusive courses you've played. I've heard Cascata was the most expensive/one of the hardest to get on in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

that was my point exactly..I equate it to a some dork getting the chance to drive a race car on a super speedway but not wanting to go faster then 55MPH. A (censored) waste!

but i do have some cool shirts and if no one sees me hit a ball they would think I was a playa!

Reflection Bay..I remember one hole that I really thought I stuck it right by the pin and saw the ball roll, roll, roll off the green and into the water. I walked over and looked in and saw about 50 balls in the water. Real golf is rigged worse then poker.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:49 AM

funny story about Shadow Creek.

Our caddie stopped us to allow a heads-up match play through. He said that they play often there and play really high. We were cool about it and sat down and waited for them to hit unto the green and putt out.

They never said, "Hi" or "thanks" or not even a "[censored] You". The lack of manners must of pissed off my boss because as it was evident they didnt think we were even worth acknowledging he said to them, "Ya know, I made over 2.5 mil last year myself and I would at least say thanks if someone allowed me to play through, you rude son of a bitches"

We then got the "[censored] you" we were waiting for. GOOD TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2007, 02:11 AM

I just thought of a Butch Harmon story.

I like this guy because he will tell you what he really thinks about anyone and do it to their face.

He tells me that he thinks I have the most untapped talent of anyone that he has ever seen because how I make contact with the ball with a swing so god damn bad is beyond all of his knowledge. I am sure he says that to a lot of people but it is still funny.

BTW..I have never heard him say a single negative thing about Tiger.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:21 AM

I played the following 2 courses 2 weeks ago while in Vegas. Both were affordable @ $60 each and I would go back to both:

Palm Valley (Summerlin area)
Aliante (North LV)

Both have fairly wide fairways so you can take the driver out on most par 4's and 5's. Aliante has quick greens, they are playing around 10 on the stimp...
Old 06-23-2007, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I played the following 2 courses 2 weeks ago while in Vegas. Both were affordable @ $60 each and I would go back to both:

Palm Valley (Summerlin area)
Aliante (North LV)

Both have fairly wide fairways so you can take the driver out on most par 4's and 5's. Aliante has quick greens, they are playing around 10 on the stimp...

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot about Aliante. I really enjoyed it, and it's pretty forgiving for the "middling" player.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:43 PM

These are the courses I've played in Vegas.

Callaway- Told them I had just moved to Vegas 2 weeks prior (which I had) and did not have a new lisence and they gave me the local rate. (23$ w/ cart I think) I thought it was really cool playing it at night, although the planes are very annoying.

Las Vegas National, couple miles east of the strip. Think I paid 50-60$ for twilight w/ cart. Course was not bad, I did not believe my buddy when he told me its where Tiger won his first PGA tour event, but it's true.

Black Mountain (henderson or just north of it) Played there 3-4 years ago, and remember it being very cheap...like 40$ with a cart. I remember it being a pretty good value as we played there again later that week.

TPC Summerlin- Got on with a member for 60 bucks. Course was very nice, some absolutely amazing houses on the course too which was cool. Greens were fast as hell, think they were running at 12, but generally pretty flat. Remember hitting a lot of 2 irons off the tee so it must have been pretty tight.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I did not believe my buddy when he told me its where Tiger won his first PGA tour event, but it's true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Back when winning a PGA event only meant about $300K.

10/06/96 Las Vegas Invitational P1 70 63 68 67 64 332 -27 $297,000.00