Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 12:04 PM

Default 66, 5 players. Overpair+Open-ended. Check-raised all in.

Well, I decided to limp my pair of sixes, after another limper and see a flop. IN total, we had 5 people in. I didn't have position only to the button. The flop came, and i have overpair+open ended. blinds check, 1st limper mini bets, I raise almost the pot size. They fold till BB who check-raises putting me all in, first limper folds.
What do I do?
It's a shame I don't have any good reads on this player, only that he's relatively tight, and haven't played a lot of hands.

So, do I expect to be losing most part of the time here? There's 2850 in the pot and I need to call 1250 (the rest of my stack), so I've got more than 1:2 odds, meaning I'd have to win only 30% of these to break even. I could be winning, I could have only 3 outs (if hes got 67) and to split the pot, or I could have 10 outs, if hes got something like a set or 2 pair.

Is this a call? A clear fold? Am I behind most of the time?
Should I have cold called the mini bet with so many players in the hand?

Thanks

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t50/t100
8 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t3090
UTG+1: t1680
MP1: t2170
HERO: t1850
CO: t2190
Button: t1110
SB: t5850
BB: t2060

Pre-flop: (8 players) HERO is MP2 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
2 folds, MP1 calls t100 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t150)</font>, HERO calls t100 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t250)</font>, CO folds, Button calls t100 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t350)</font>, SB calls t50 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t450)</font>, BB checks.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t500, 5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets t100</font>, <font color="#cc0000">HERO raises to t500</font>, Button folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to t2000</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">HERO ???</font>.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:13 PM

Default Re: 66, 5 players. Overpair+Open-ended. Check-raised all in.

limping's bad here, imo. here it's possible you're up against 2 pair, a set, or a made straight (like a 76 or an A2), which would be logical for the sb to have. i think we should play this flop carefully and just smooth-call behind and see what happens, since the betting isn't closed after we act. as played i'm folding the turn - even 2:1 isn't good enough if we're drawing to 3 outs to a chop.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:21 PM

I think i can limp and try to see a cheap flop, and if I hit a set, i Still have a lot of set value here. You'd just open-fold the 66 here? What would you limp in this position? Blinds are getting high, but not enormous. I dont like a raise here with 66, but i think a limp, after a limper is ok.

On the flop, I could have been a little cautious and just cold called the mini bet. The bb would have check-raised and then what? I'll fold the overpair+open ended?
If the answer is yes, this is a good approach, but, the flop was good to me, and I wouldnt give the odds to someone cal me with a KJ and try to outdraw me. So, I raised, to deny some odds and thin the field.

After the raise, Am I commited to this pot?
Old 05-17-2007, 12:26 PM

at 50-100 i'm not really limping anything. MAYBE 99/TT/JJ (JJ every once in a while to mix it up).

depending on the size of the c/r, then we go from there and re-evaluate, but at that point, with a bet, a call, and then a re-raise, i'm not giving him credit for a squeeze - sb could have pretty much any 2 here. he's also obviously not squeezing in the original hand, either.

after raising, you have to have the discipline to lay this down. you've only lost 1/3 of your stack, you're not in awful awful shape with almost t1300 left, and behind almost his entire re-push range. i don't like putting it in when we know we're drawing, esp. if we think our set outs don't mean anything. i think in this case, the fact that we have an overpair means absolutely nothing and i treat it like an oesd and just muck.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:26 PM

fold this every time and as played call the flop bet
Old 05-17-2007, 12:30 PM

you mean call the orginal flop bet and not the push, i hope.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:09 AM

K, thanks. I felt commited, and the pot odds were very attractive to call. After a bet and a raise, the check-raise push is very strong, but sometimes they do that with top pair, pair and draw, etc.