Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 05:58 AM

Default Full Tilt 2/4 bluffing......

4 handed Full Tilt 200/400
My main opponent in this hand keeps jumping in and out of the game, seems to be losing a little. I've seen him in many high limit games on this site but never really played with him. I'm going to assume he's fairly good because I haven't seen anything really bad thusfar.

He raises UTG and a decent playing SB calls. I have 88 in the BB and decide to 3 bet this time although that's not standard, I'd say 35% of the time I 3 bet it here. They both call.

Flop: Ks Js 5c SB checks I bet UTG calls SB folds. Turn Ah and I bet again and he calls again. River is an offsuit 7 and I fire one last shell. Thoughts? What do we think he has? Should I be bluffing vs. his range here?
Old 11-29-2006, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Full Tilt 2/4 bluffing......

I don't think that there's much value in the river bet. He would have to be a very disciplined, tight player who really wants/likes to fold a lot. If we don't know this info it seems like a spew. If you think he would fold qj then it might be worth a bet though.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:38 AM

Dont like this river "bluff", your hand is too strong. Dont think he is going to fold a hand that is better than yours here. Especially when considering that he called your bet on the turn when the ace came down and the river is not that scary..
Old 11-29-2006, 08:59 AM

I think tough players and bad players both call you on the end here fairly light (for different reasons) at least the first time a situation like this comes up. Though from your description he sounds mediocre good which seems like the type to make a laydown here. I would check and fold the turn unless recent history was an overwhelming factor.

-DeathDonkey
Old 11-29-2006, 10:03 AM

check fold the turn would be very weak. he could have hit a K or J and wanted to raise the turn. when the turn brings the A its a nice scarecard - especially after hero's 3bet preflop - and he will often fold the J.

but the river bet doesn't make much sense imho. when he calls he has the better hand in 95% of the time
Old 11-29-2006, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

but the river bet doesn't make much sense imho. when he calls he has the better hand in 95% of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

that's why it's called a bluff
Old 11-29-2006, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would check and fold the turn unless recent history was an overwhelming factor.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-29-2006, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4 handed Full Tilt 200/400
My main opponent in this hand keeps jumping in and out of the game, seems to be losing a little. I've seen him in many high limit games on this site but never really played with him. I'm going to assume he's fairly good because I haven't seen anything really bad thusfar.

He raises UTG and a decent playing SB calls. I have 88 in the BB and decide to 3 bet this time although that's not standard, I'd say 35% of the time I 3 bet it here. They both call.

Flop: Ks Js 5c SB checks I bet UTG calls SB folds. Turn Ah and I bet again and he calls again. River is an offsuit 7 and I fire one last shell. Thoughts? What do we think he has? Should I be bluffing vs. his range here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we can rule out AA-TT, AK-AJs due to the preflop action. I think KQ, KT, KJ, Kxs pop the flop. QT likley pops the turn. That leaves us with small pairs and a hand like QJ or JT. Maybe TT-99. He could have 98s or 87s or something like that, but he can't call the river with these hands. On the river there are 7.5 BB in the pot. Does he fold the river 13% of the time? Seems reasonable. If he has the QJ or JT, you have the only hand he beats. That said, if he knows you 3bet this 35% of the time, the bluff is a loser. I guess he could have Axs. I dunno. I'm thinking out loud.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:25 PM

it really looks like qj or jt. dunno if he folds or not.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it really looks like qj or jt. dunno if he folds or not.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would think he'd fold often enough to warrant a bet