Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 11-02-2007, 02:05 AM

Default 20 on the button...worst limp, worst raise...

20/40 @ FW.

UTG is a tight player who i've never seen limp UTG.

MP1 is another tight player but a bit looser than UTG and i've seen him open limp before.

the table overall is very soft and passive for the most part, a few aggressive spots but overall towards the passive side postflop also.

typically 4-6 players to the flop for 1-2 bets.

onto the hand...

UTG limps, MP1 limps and 1 more average player limps.

you are on the button with XY.

what is the worst XY that you'd limp with there.

what is the worst XY that you'd raise with there.

and why?

Barron
Old 11-02-2007, 02:16 AM

Default Re: 20 on the button...worst limp, worst raise...

Worst limping hand is probably 76s and JTo. Why? Because 76s is a great hand to crack an overpair with if UTG is getting tricky trying to LRR aces, and of course it has fine equity in position against all other limping hands. JT will have similar implied odds if it flops a nut straight draw, especially because its straights will involve cards that make other people 2 pair/set/TPTK type hands. Against these players I'd probably stay away from speculative hands that I'd play in other situations (against looser, worse players) like T8o, 97o, etc.

I'd also limp 22 here. Not sure what you mean by worst hand -- 76s is "worse" than JTo but it might have higher EV.

The worst hand I'd raise is probably JTs, maybe QJs.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Worst limping hand is probably 76s and JTo. Why? Because 76s is a great hand to crack an overpair with if UTG is getting tricky trying to LRR aces, and of course it has fine equity in position against all other limping hands. JT will have similar implied odds if it flops a nut straight draw, especially because its straights will involve cards that make other people 2 pair/set/TPTK type hands. Against these players I'd probably stay away from speculative hands that I'd play in other situations (against looser, worse players) like T8o, 97o, etc.

I'd also limp 22 here. Not sure what you mean by worst hand -- 76s is "worse" than JTo but it might have higher EV.

The worst hand I'd raise is probably JTs, maybe QJs.

[/ QUOTE ]

the reason i posted it was b/c the two tight players up front both limped.

i don't know about raising QJs here. typically that is easy but this is probably exactly what i had in mind (and KJs etc.) when i was thinking "what would i need to raise these two tight players ?"

limping sure, all pairs, suited connectors etc.

i dont' see why you'd draw the "line" at 76s and not play 65s or 54s??

Barron
Old 11-02-2007, 02:39 AM

It's an arbitrary line, I admit. Being the nitbox that I am, I still find it hard to come in with 5-high, even on the button. But against bad players I'll splash around.

You may be right that QJs is a limp' or at least it's close. But in a pot that's likely to be 5-handed, I wouldn't mind having suited broadway in position for a bigger pot, even if I am dominated. It's not like I am going to play one pair really hard, but if I flop a nice combo-draw, then I can ram and jam it using my position. Having a bigger pot makes it juicier to chase it. Sure it cuts down a tad on my implied odds, but not that much. I couldn't argue with somebody limping JTs here, or even QJs, but my left hand would probably not be able to restrain itself from throwing a bunch of chips in there.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:27 AM

since they are good players, and i assume they will play well post-flop, so all suited cons, pp, maybe 78o and 89o+

i wont raise any offsuit boardway tho, given the players and situation, i'll only riase kqs+, aqo+(aqo is close), and of coz j10s+ if i m feelin lucky !

if the blinds are loose, i might even limp with jj, but usually r jj+, tens are close, i might chose to limp with it

Old 11-02-2007, 09:32 AM

Bah, we just missed you. Anyway, worst hand I'd raise is T9s and worst hand I limp is T9o. QJs is a clear raise and JTs is a bit closer, but raising is fun so I raise. T9s is pretty borderline and Id raise it against looser players, but I'd likely still end up raising here.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:41 AM

i think as far as the worst limping or raising would have to be decided on what you think of the limpers play post flop. against horrific players im in there with almost anything, against good players i try to play cautiously with hands that could be trouble hands against early position limps KJ K10 QJ Q10.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bah, we just missed you. Anyway, worst hand I'd raise is T9s and worst hand I limp is T9o. QJs is a clear raise and JTs is a bit closer, but raising is fun so I raise. T9s is pretty borderline and Id raise it against looser players, but I'd likely still end up raising here.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was there from like 9am-1130pm [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

i got am essage from professor ben that he'd be there and i didn't see him or missed him.

i ran into some other poker guys, one of which was an old poster and cool guy and knew jfthomas from paradise lol. man we used to battle to the death.

anyways, in terms of the hand, i had JTo and folded.

if i hit, the only thing i'd wanna see is AKQ obviously or a straight draw.

i don't think i would get enough of an overlay from the other limper to justify the cost of 2nd best vs. KJ/AJ/KT/AT etc where i'm just crucified.

i was thinking at the time that i'd limp 98o far more happily than JTo since the two guys up front aren't that likely to have 9s and 8s.

it just felt odd to fold JTo on the button in a limped pot for like effectively 5:1.

maybe i was wrong but what else do you put the two guys up front on?

and i don't think i'd raise JTs. i'd just limp with it.

thoughts?

Barron
Old 11-02-2007, 01:38 PM

I think the play of the blinds has a huge impact on my decisions here, which no one has mentioned. Also, if they're passive postflop I'm still raising the lower end of my range.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Worst limping hand is probably 76s and JTo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with PJ here.

The worst hand I'd raise is probably TT or AJs/KQs, maybe QJs if it's really loose-passive. JTs is a good multiway hand, but I'm not aggro enough to raise that in this spot.