Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 11:08 PM

Default Re: IOWA FARMLAND in GRAVE danger

[ QUOTE ]
Jimbo,

I didn't write those words because I was a big fan of Clinton. The balanced budgets we had during his administration were partially the responsibility of a Republican congress fighting his spending proposals. During that period the U.S. dollar was very strong. But during Bush's administration we abandoned all semblence of fiscal responsibility, in part because there was no counterbalancing force in congress. IMHO of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Desert Cat,

IMHO and in fact the opinion of scholars a lot smarter than me believe it was the Regan administraion who was predominately responsilbe for the boom during the Clinton administration. The Republican controlled congress and Clinton were minor players in the end result.

Now if you had longed for the good old ways of the Reagan administration I wouldn't have said a word. Bush Sr. did a terrible job in regards to fiscal responsibility. Bush jr has had much bigger fish to fry yet the economy recovered remarkably fast after the devestating effects of 911.

Jimbo
Old 09-11-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Desert Cat,

IMHO and in fact the opinion of scholars a lot smarter than me believe it was the Regan administraion who was predominately responsilbe for the boom during the Clinton administration. The Republican controlled congress and Clinton were minor players in the end result.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you're referring to the end of the cold war? Or are you trying to say Reagan invented the internet?

[ QUOTE ]
Now if you had longed for the good old ways of the Reagan administration I wouldn't have said a word. Bush Sr. did a terrible job in regards to fiscal responsibility. Bush jr has had much bigger fish to fry yet the economy recovered remarkably fast after the devestating effects of 911.

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

What devastating effects of 9/11? From a macroeconomic standpoint, it was a minor event. It was the bursting of the dot-com bubble and the recession that followed that the economy recovered from. And the recovery had very little to do with the fiscal policy of the Bush Administration and everything to do with the economic cycle and historically low interest rates, for which we're paying a price right now.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume you're referring to the end of the cold war? Or are you trying to say Reagan invented the internet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone knows Al Gore invented the internet (as well as global warming). Yes both the end of the cold war and lowering marginal tax rates were his major contributions.

Jimbo
Old 09-12-2007, 01:29 PM

This is getting insane.........look at the cash grain prices today!!

Wheat, corn, and soybeans have all moved up dramatically...........where will this bull market ends is anyones guess at this point.

Other Commodities Price Change High Low Settle Last Update †
Corn (CBT)
December 07 (cents per bu.) 351.75 +10.50 358.75 338.50 341.25 9/12 1:18pm

Soybeans (CBT)
November 07 (cents per bu.) 945.50 +25.00 959.50 921.00 918.00 9/12 1:18pm
Old 09-12-2007, 05:42 PM

too bad all your money is in farmland...
Old 09-12-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

........FARMLAND PRICES are directly influenced by grain prices.........especially those of corn and soybeans in the state of Iowa. In fact, it is probably the #1 factor of all factors involved in evaluating farmland prices.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FARMLAND PRICES are directly influenced by grain prices.........especially those of corn and soybeans in the state of Iowa. In fact, it is probably the #1 factor of all factors involved in evaluating farmland prices.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it. The thesis is that Iowa's interests are about 97815x as important as anyone else's in the eyes of politicians, because Iowa holds the first caucuses.

How is the recommendation of an organization in Paris, France related to that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points actually........and exactly one of the reasons farmland in Iowa will be a safe investment up until the Nov/08 election.....at the very, very least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well at least until the caucuses! November would depend on whether it is a swing state because lots of states become equal after summer 2008. But of course Congress is full of guys who want to run for President in 2012.

I would never know enough to invest in farmland, but I've owned DE and ADM for awhile now, although I think I may take profits soon...
Old 09-13-2007, 01:06 PM

DE........

Deere is well-positioned to benefit from the surge in corn production -- driven by increased demand for ethanol -- which could compel farmers to buy more equipment. Risks include any adverse weather conditions, which could hurt farmers' production and income and leave them with less money to spend on new equipment. In addition, Congress will begin negotiating a new farm bill this year, which could reduce farm subsidies and likewise leave farmers with less money to invest in capital.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:27 AM

BULLISH update for farmland...............

http://www.farms.com/readstory.asp?dtnnewsid=1697387