Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games

Old 08-10-2007, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Reads - WW strategy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, what I meant to say is, why did you choose to single me out when I'm not the only person "making a mockery of LC"

oh snap? diggity.

[/ QUOTE ]

because saying tl dr isnt making a mockery.

[/ QUOTE ]

sure it is.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:50 AM

I shall be writing a response to your facebook msg today, you bastard
Old 08-10-2007, 11:52 AM

You have such a big face
Old 08-10-2007, 11:53 AM

o0o
Old 08-10-2007, 11:53 AM

you're such a hater
Old 08-10-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

TLDR: Generic reads >>>> Specific reads.

Every villager reacts a certain way to the game they're playing right now. Figure out what it is, and you can figure what doesn't belong, which will pwn wolves (and seers).

Also, lynching wolves >>>>> clearing villagers (but I've said this so much).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-10-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Villagers have certain tendencies. They talk with certain people, they argue with certain people. When they are right, they're right in a certain way. For example, 90% of the time, almost no one is going to clear me as a villager except Dustin/Shortline. You can use this type of knowledge, and it can be very, very effective. Ask yourself, "is what that villager saying make sense?" And by make sense, it's not whether or not you agree with it, or even whether or not it's right. By make sense, I mean, whether or not that villager SHOULD be posting what he's posting.

For example, fish would never clear me, dustin, and bojtun in ASXVII if he was a villager. I agreed with it, it was right, but it didn't make sense coming from fish (and I didn't push it hard enough at the time). Eskimo suspecting me on d5 was completely moranic (and wrong), but it was definitely a very, very natural thing for eskimo to do.

Some villagers think alike. They should post the same way. They should clear each other. They should think the same things. Some villagers think differently. They should argue. They should not think the same way. Same with wolves.

Example: Both boj and supine said they wanted to lynch me the day clowntable got lynched in ASXVII. If boj and supine thought about the game completely differently, one of them is probably a wolf. But they didn't, and they weren't.

This is very, very player-specific and game specific. Shorty should think differently than Books. ScottHoward should attack Eskimo (something I completely missed in ASXVII). I should talk to Shortline a lot. Dustin and Bojtun should clear each other. Gt1t should argue with durron.

Figure out who attacks who, who argues with who, who agrees with who, who talks with who, who gets frustrated at who. The same interactions will pop up every game. A difference or lack of interaction is essentially a sign pointing to wolves. Start with yourself, think about who you interact with, and branch out.

Do not try to "make sense" of what people would do as wolf. Wolves metagame. Wolves will play differently based on who their wolf partners are. Also, if you figure out what people don't do as a wolf, you clear villagers (which is fine). If you figure out what people don't do as a villager, you lynch wolves (awesome).

Not only can you use a wolf's reads that don't "make sense" to accuse a wolf, you can use the opposite. If Player X is a villager, and always accuses player Y of being a wolf but doesn't this game, well, you should not only suspect player X, but suspect player Y.

Villagers are predictable. From game to game, the differences in their play are mostly about the game itself, not the villager. Understand how other villagers think and should think, and nailing wolves becomes a lot, lot easier.

[/ QUOTE ]
I edited down that huge page in the middle about tendencies.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:39 PM

Generic reads
In long games, there are big things to look for in how a player plays wolf versus how a player plays villager.

Examples: Scott is a lot more aggressive as a villager (a lot more sharp). I'm a lot more aggressive and questioning as a wolf. Shorty tries to lynch villagers when he is a wolf.

These reads are important because they are easy to get, and fairly accurate.

Reads about specific posts that a player made take a lot more time, and are far less accurate than these generic reads based off many posts or a general feel of another player's posts.

Sometimes, you soul-read people. Realize who those people are and abuse that read. It matters.

For people you don't read well, do the exact opposite of following your gut. Focus on being player-specific. Maybe do the exact opposite of your gut. Have reasoning for making reads of players you don't read well.

Specific reads can help, but unless you nitpick multiple posts of another player, they will not be very accurate, and they give blinders.

Sitting back and using simple player-specific generic reads is far more effective than one would think, given time.

There, TLDR version + rewrote it.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:06 PM

Nice work lastchance. Ignore all the hating, we need more like that and soah's wolf post.
WW for Advanced players plskthx
Old 08-10-2007, 02:10 PM

Thanks. I thought it was pretty good.

The hating is just kyro, who I ignore the hell out of anyway. Also, I know it's not well-written.