Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Official NCAA 08 thread

If you own a 360: stop reading this, go to the marketplace, download the demo. Now. A million times better this year than last. So smooth, gang tackling is awesome, you can actual slip through blockers while running inside, the CPU actually missed a game winning 34 yard field goal (only to get bailed out by a roughing the kicker). My only complaints after 1 game are I really wish they'd go back to the old style playbooks, I don't know why they changed it in the first place or at least took out the option to use the classic 3 plays at once choice, and as an ND fan, Michigan vs USC is like the allies choosing between Hitler and Stalin. I was sort of on the fence about getting it this year, but it looks so improved its become yet another must buy.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Official NCAA 08 thread

I used to love video football, but I lost interest in it after EA bought the NFL rights and I realized that NCAA was even worse than madden in terms of cheesy "3 money play on O, same defense every time and the CPU never adjusts" football. Only time it's fun is playing friends live, and even then it's basically a money play shootout that bears little resemblance to actual football.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:50 PM

This comes out tomorrow and looks pretty sweet. The demo was pretty cool and all previews say that it is miles ahead of 07.

I'm looking forward to the recruiting aspect of it too, which looks like it could be fun.

Cappy
Old 07-16-2007, 10:17 PM

I'm probably not getting it. I only have a PS3, and the PS3 version runs at 30 FPS vs 60 for the 360. Same with All Pro Football as well. Madden will run at 60 on both systems. Otherwise I was seriously considering getting a 360, because all the multiplatform games are undeniably better on it. I don't know if they're good enough to warrant purchasing a new system though.

My only real dilemma at this point is which pro football game I want. A lot of people prefer 2k's game to Madden, and I'd love to build a team around John Elway. However several reporters have said that Madden's really stepping it up this year. I don't know if I want to just get APF tomorrow, and then take a look at Madden later on, or if I should wait for Madden to come out and try them both.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:41 PM

I am very much leaning towards getting this game. I heard some less than stellar things about 07, so I'm hoping this game steps it up.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:41 PM

I downloaded the demo and played it for about 10 minutes. Hated it...

The graphics are awful. The animations are awful. I didn't enjoy the game play. The overall feel of the game is bad.

I played NCAA 07 a lot and 08 seems the exact same. The momentum feature was retarded... the game feels glitchy. Players run through tackles or ghost tackles are made. A few plays is all it takes to win every game.

I really hope the 2k game pushes EA to step it up.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:52 PM

08 is completely different from 07, what are you talking about? If you don't like it, fine, I think it's pretty far from a perfect football game, but to say it's the same as 07 is crazy.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
08 is completely different from 07, what are you talking about? If you don't like it, fine, I think it's pretty far from a perfect football game, but to say it's the same as 07 is crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably shouldn't have said 'exactly the same', but what's so different about it? You like the game because the team missed a field goal?

They didn't upgrade the graphics or anything. It's sad that the "PONTIAC DRIVE OF THE GAME" bar looks better than anything on the field. Players look like they were filled in with a paint bucket, there's no detail. USC was basically red blocks with red circles as helmets.The crowd is basically floating balls that move around. It also looks like they are playing on green cement. I'm not usually one to harp on graphics, but the game play does nothing to make me forget how awful they are. Just look...

It seems the new feature is to focus on the silly minigames and "7th toughest stadium to play at!" BS. Tackling was still as horrible as it was in 07. The only thing that looks decent is taking over the college's recruiting process.... but that doesn't warrant $50. It doesn't feel like a game that was put together by people that cared. I'm going to wait until All Pro Football and Madden come out.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably shouldn't have said 'exactly the same', but what's so different about it? You like the game because the team missed a field goal?

They didn't upgrade the graphics or anything. It's sad that the "PONTIAC DRIVE OF THE GAME" bar looks better than anything on the field. Players look like they were filled in with a paint bucket, there's no detail. USC was basically red blocks with red circles as helmets.The crowd is basically floating balls that move around. It also looks like they are playing on green cement. I'm not usually one to harp on graphics, but the game play does nothing to make me forget how awful they are. Just look...

It seems the new feature is to focus on the silly minigames and "7th toughest stadium to play at!" BS. Tackling was still as horrible as it was in 07. The only thing that looks decent is taking over the college's recruiting process.... but that doesn't warrant $50. It doesn't feel like a game that was put together by people that cared. I'm going to wait until All Pro Football and Madden come out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you are right - they didn't upgrade the graphics. In fact they actually downgraded the graphics a bit to allow the game to run at 60 FPS. However, the game play is much much better. I don't understand how you can say tackling and game play isn't as good as the motions are much more fluid and realistic. This is a big step up as far as game play is concerned from 07 even if the graphics took a bit of a hit.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:43 PM

It still seems 'glitchy' to me. I didn't see anything close to 'fluid' playing the demo. If they put a hand on my hip, sometimes I go straight back to the ground. It makes no sense that someone from the side causes an animation that looks like I was speared by a LB. I haven't played it enough to see any of those ridiculous '07 faults, so maybe they fixed actually running through people.

Also, that has got to be the worst kickoff setup ever.