Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 07-08-2007, 08:45 AM

Default Re: overpair, drawy board against a good player

He prolly shouldnt expect Hero to fold a lot. So checking behind might be fine. But with 15 cards to imrove to the best hand in a 8.5BB pot he dosent need to get a fold much more than 8-10% of the time for a bet to be good.

But as said. With the preflop + flop action he shouldnt expect to get a fold on that board. But then I like just calling the flop 3-bet and avoid having hero leading out the turn. This way he will also get to raise the turn much more often as hero after all is more likely to bet the turn if villain just called the flop 3-bet than if villain capped the flop.

In general I dont like raising for a free card HU. The value of taking the free card is most often worth less than the value of semibluffing.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:06 AM

for some reason i totally missed the flush draw coming in
Old 07-08-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he caps flush with a fd he should IMO bet the turn for FE.

[/ QUOTE ]

FE = Zero in this hand. If one caps the flop in this spot with a draw checking the turn will almost always be better than betting. I think the hero shouldve bet the turn cuz a good player will have a draw here so often and he will be smart enough to check behind. Against a lag, I would just check/call the turn.

On that specific river card, theres nothing else you can do there but check/call.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FE = Zero in this hand. If one caps the flop in this spot with a draw checking the turn will almost always be better than betting. I think the hero shouldve bet the turn cuz a good player will have a draw here so often and he will be smart enough to check behind. Against a lag, I would just check/call the turn.

On that specific river card, theres nothing else you can do there but check/call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I'd expect most TAGs to isolate 66/55 also.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:26 PM

His range is pretty narrowly defined on the flop. It's possible he'd overlimp with 33, not impossible he'd do it with 55/66, and there are some medium suited connectors and such that fit (which might bring 65 into play). Maybe some smaller suited aces I guess if he's feeling limpy.

Combos-wise he's probably on a big draw. His flop cap is slightly disconcerting, though, in that he has to think that we're showing down close to 100% of the time here after we 3-bet. It's possible we have 2 overs with a diamond draw I guess, but he'd be committed to firing at 2 more streets to fold us and we might look him up anyway in a bigish pot when draws seem to make up such a large % of his range. The upshot is that he seems to think it's a value play with so little apparent fold equity, so we're either dodging a lot of outs or drawing thin. Awesome.

With the benefit of time to think, and in light of your read, I'm tempted to fold if a diamond drops somewhere. Is that ridiculous?
Old 07-08-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agree 100%
Old 07-08-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the turn donk idea. Villain may have bet anyway in the heat of things (I have to think I'm not the only one to make inconsistent plays from time to time despite my best intentions... have to), but it's unlikely that he raises without a strong made hand.

I presume we're folding to a raise? I'm thinking that if Villain is good enough to break down our play and make the appropriate adjustment he deserves the pot. But I guess we could bet/call and fold if the board gets scarier.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:13 PM

I would expect villain to call our flop 3bet and raise the turn with a set, so his flop cap is a draw most of the time
Old 07-08-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would expect villain to call our flop 3bet and raise the turn with a set, so his flop cap is a draw most of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that seems correct. So that's why donking on the turn could be a good idea.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:53 PM

IMO villain would make a mistake to not fast play trips in this spot if he acknowledges you as a good player.
It must be obvious for him that you at least have top pair and that you will interpret his actions as him being on a draw.

Despite that fact Iīve changed my mind and I think it is close between donking and checking turn.Because there are more combos with a draw than it is with a made hand.And all made hands arenīt going to raise turn.